Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I have several alerts in my email box regarding my passwords. I assume this due to the Heartbleed bug.

One of the alerts is from Lastpass. I’ve been thinking about using Lastpass for a while now – but have yet to pull the trigger. Any of you guys use it? Any reviews for it?

Paul

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
JohnG said:
Lastpass is the best. You can't function in today's society without a password manager.
What is a password manager? For people who can't remember their passwords?

Edit: I should start googling before I post instead of after.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well crap, wonder how I've gotten along for the last 20+ years in online environments?
Probably because you are using the same password for multiple sites (security risk) or simple passwords that are easy to crack.

With most people having 30 or more websites with passwords, it is almost impossible to remember the types of passwords that are needed for security. 18-22 characters with upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols.

If you say that you have that type of password for all of your logins you're lying.

Like I said, if you want to live in today's connected world securely, you need a password manager.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I use Lastpass. I have a system that helps me create secure passwords and remember them but then sites started requiring that I create new passwords and blew that all to crap. I have close to 100 sites on Lastpass so I'd never remember them all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, firefox remembers them.
Hopefully you're writing them all down because if and when Firefox loses your passwords, you'll be out of luck. Relying on your browser to securely store you passwords is asking for disaster. It's only a matter of time before they are lost.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, like I said, I do keep a written list. My point was that with firefox I don't have to drag the list out every time I need to put in a password, most of them are automatically entered.

I recommend that everyone have a list of all their usernames and passwords somewhere. Even if it is in a safety deposit box. That way when you die your family doesn't have to sit around and try to guess your online passwords for a month. I've seen this happen and it is pretty sad. I would hate to think that my wife would have to sit at my computer and try to figure out my passwords for hours on end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use LastPass and it works great. I used to rely on the Web Browsers to store my passwords, but then I began to clear my cache (cookies, passwords, history, etc) on a regular basis to speed up my internet browsing, which I suggest doing.

Also, LastPass passwords are all encrypted and I'm not sure if that's the case for Web Browsers.

Anyway, after I got LastPass, I changed all of my passwords and made them all long, illogical mixtures of random characters. I wouldn't have been able to do that without it.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Browsers do not encrypt, they are easily read. "Google" Chrome (or any browser)password reader. It isn't safe using browsers to save them....especially on a notebook.

sent using ****ty tapatalk.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Yes, like I said, I do keep a written list. My point was that with firefox I don't have to drag the list out every time I need to put in a password, most of them are automatically entered.

I recommend that everyone have a list of all their usernames and passwords somewhere. Even if it is in a safety deposit box. That way when you die your family doesn't have to sit around and try to guess your online passwords for a month. I've seen this happen and it is pretty sad. I would hate to think that my wife would have to sit at my computer and try to figure out my passwords for hours on end.
I used norton password vault for years. It stored the passwords and when ever I went to a page it would auto fill our ask which login I wanted to use.

I'm looking for a new system that will work across platforms.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I use KeePass and quite like it. There are ways to synchronize across many platforms, but they require the use of a cloud drive to store the encrypted database file. Its free and straight forward to use, but not as elegant as last pass.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
What happens when they get hacked. My passwords are in my head. Good luck making sense of anything in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts