Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Grumpy said:
Excellent!

BTW did you make sure it was legal to pass out flyers in the areas you did your canvasing?
When I first started I got fined $250.

BTW- three calls and only 65 flyers, way to go :Thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:cool: no i didnt check to see if it was legal but figured that if they can put election fliers on doors then why cant i . even if i dont vote for them.. so far i got 1 bid for sure, the others have to talk it over with significant other..
sat am plan to pass 500 more,wish me luck,

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Elections have their own sets of laws. The politicians are the ones who write the laws, and they are also the ones who write exceptions for themselves into the laws.

Don't assume, it can cost ya.

Customer: "I think I want an estimate but I have to talk it over with my Husband/Wife."

You: "Oh I understand. The estimate is completely free. Why don't I stop out tomorrow then you guys can discuss my estimate."

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I got started in business by passing door hangers. I didn't make a special trip anywhere to do so. If I had to bid work in a neighborhood in which I'd like to do more work, I passed a few dozen while I was there. If I was driving to or from a job, I'd take the scenic route and might pass through a nice area. If so, I stopped and passed some hangers. It was sort of a ritual thing to do for 8 or 10 months just to get my name out. Zillions cheaper than a newspaper ad that might or might not get read. At least with a door hanger or flyer, you have to read it before you decide whether to throw it out or not.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
BTW - By the way...
IMHO - In my humble opinion...
TY - Thank you.
TIA - Thanks in advance.
WTF - What the (heck)...
CYA - Cover your (posterior)...

The use of these Email abbreviations is becoming more and more common. I even got a business letter not too long ago that had some of these included in the text. There's a pretty complete list of them here

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
pauls painting said:
:cool: no i didnt check to see if it was legal but figured that if they can put election fliers on doors then why cant i . even if i dont vote for them.. so far i got 1 bid for sure, the others have to talk it over with significant other..
sat am plan to pass 500 more,wish me luck,
I have a door hanger campaign starting the first of April 2500 doorhanger, time frame 1 week. I wouldnt even know who to check with about the legality of it...not real sure I care :cool:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
don, you should care. Done incorrectly, it can ruin your whole day. Charges can vary from tresspass to littering. There is a case here that involves hanging them on mailboxes and claiming defacing Federal property. This is a Big House charge, not 10 days at County.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
donb1959 said:
I have a door hanger campaign starting the first of April 2500 doorhanger, time frame 1 week. I wouldnt even know who to check with about the legality of it...not real sure I care :cool:
If you are using a hanger distribution company to hang for you, I think it is natural that you are relying on their expertese for doing what is legal and illegal. Unless you are going to follow them around in your truck while they are doing it, I can't see how you have much control over what happens other than feeling comfortable with them and believing they will do it correctly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
don, you should care. Done incorrectly, it can ruin your whole day. Charges can vary from tresspass to littering. There is a case here that involves hanging them on mailboxes and claiming defacing Federal property. This is a Big House charge, not 10 days at County.
You could always plead temporary insanity. LOL

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Ok, ok How does one check on the legality of hanging door hangers, I will be primarily hanging them in a small town full of expensive developements. And would someone please tell the powers that be to lossen the hold around our necks so that we can market a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts