Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my 16ga paslode gas finish nailer has been acting up lately. Has anyone ever had this problem?

When I fire the nailer, sometimes it trys to shoot two nails at a time and the second nail gets smashed between the driver and the flip up front cover. I have to flip up the cover and pry the nailer off the wood. Sometimes it just shoots one nail but occasionally does the same thing.

I recently cleaned the nailer with paslodes spray cleaner, but I didn't oil anything, I'm wondering if some oil that was nesessary got cleaned off something.

Thanks, Dave

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Take the nose apart as much as you can.

My gun was having fits for a while and I nearly gave up on it thinking it was toast. Turns a loose nail worked itself WAY up into the nose, inverted, and was pushing the driver out of the track.

I fixed it, but it is still unreliable because of one reason or another. Most times....cold.

heck, my air nailers wouldn't run the other day--they all froze in the truck.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys that was quick:laughing:

naptown, It is the angled gun thats maybe what I was hoping, but all the nails are paslode brand

TBF, the driver looks pretty good, the gun is only maybe a year and a half old or so and I always use paslode nails

Greg, I will have to take it apart and have a look up there maybe even a piece or something got wedged up there. Its funny you say that about your nailers I was just thinking the same thing, I stoped carrying my compressor in my truck and only carry my paslodes unless I know I have something big to do, but now it makes me want to keep at least a little compressor in the truck all the time so I don't get screwed on a job!

Dave

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Thanks guys that was quick:laughing:

naptown, It is the angled gun thats maybe what I was hoping, but all the nails are paslode brand

TBF, the driver looks pretty good, the gun is only maybe a year and a half old or so and I always use paslode nails

Greg, I will have to take it apart and have a look up there maybe even a piece or something got wedged up there. Its funny you say that about your nailers I was just thinking the same thing, I stoped carrying my compressor in my truck and only carry my paslodes unless I know I have something big to do, but now it makes me want to keep at least a little compressor in the truck all the time so I don't get screwed on a job!

Dave

Before I went to air, I had nothing but paslodes...and I never had a problem...I almost never cleaned and lubed them either... Once every few boxes I would pop the top, and smear a few drops of oil around the cylinder walls...that was it. I went to air b/c I wanted the option to speed nail and the variety of guns at a much lesser price....and no more fuel and loud bangs...there are plenty of times I miss my Angled 16 Paslode tho...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I went to air, I had nothing but paslodes...and I never had a problem...I almost never cleaned and lubed them either... Once every few boxes I would pop the top, and smear a few drops of oil around the cylinder walls...that was it. I went to air b/c I wanted the option to speed nail and the variety of guns at a much lesser price....and no more fuel and loud bangs...there are plenty of times I miss my Angled 16 Paslode tho...
I always had air guns until I bought these a year and a half ago. I always wanted the paslodes cause of the portability. After using them for a while now I realize they deffinetly have their place and will never replace air guns! I just did a decent size trim job and used my air guns. I remember now how nice they are, like you said no fuel, bangs, and the not having to push as hard on the gun to get it to fire. They are nice though up on a ladder or something like that.

On a side note, I noticed you have the paslode 16ga angled air nailer, I have some amazon gift cards I'm dieing to use:laughing: I was looking at that nailer. How do you like it? it looks very small and light.

Dave

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Does one really need to nail trim up faster than you can with the paslode? Really?

I really like the 16ga angled, I prefer to use it vs. my air nailers. I have the straight as well.

Never had that problem but, it does sound like something is wedged up in it's undercarriage.
The only problem I have ever had with any of my 3 paslode's was a pinched sparkplug wire.
Only reason I figured it out, I was trying to nail in the dark, saw the spark.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
my pasloade were the best things ever for about 4 or 5 months...
between all the jams, firing 2 nails, changing gas cells, having to warm up the gun and fuel in the winter because they don't work well, cleaning while in the middle of a job... i hate my passloads!!!

i sucked it up and re-bought guns and shelled out the extra for the dewalt 18 volt. had it probably going on 2 years now and the only complaint is it's a bit heavy and big, but i knew that going in to the purchase so it wasn't a surprise like the pasload was.

i will always recomend the dewalt over the pasload due to my sour experiance, it's not worth it to get caught up with downtime trying to fix a tool that i bought to make me money!!!

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
The Paslode AIR 16ga angles is sweet. It used to be very expensive --- over $200, but I got mine for $79 as a fluke at HD one day.

I just used it yesterday and it's one of those "ah...." tools. Just feels good and works great.

But...it did freeze last week in the truck preventing me from using it. I think maybe the seals froze or something.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hey guys, my 16ga paslode gas finish nailer has been acting up lately. Has anyone ever had this problem?

When I fire the nailer, sometimes it trys to shoot two nails at a time and the second nail gets smashed between the driver and the flip up front cover. I have to flip up the cover and pry the nailer off the wood. Sometimes it just shoots one nail but occasionally does the same thing.

I recently cleaned the nailer with paslodes spray cleaner, but I didn't oil anything, I'm wondering if some oil that was nesessary got cleaned off something.

Thanks, Dave
Dave, pull the gun apart again and double check for debris in the mechanism. While you have it opened up, oil the piston with Paslodes oil, it's available where the tools are purchased. Also pull the piston/driver out of the cylinder and check to be sure the drive pin is nice and square. I had the same issue with a brand new straight nailer. I beveled the back of the driver blade on a slight angle and the problem went away.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Mine has it's moments in the last week i have prob done over 3000 nails and not one jam. Then i will get a day where it jams up 3-4 times then it's fine again for thousands of nails. Most of the time the jams are caused by bad sets of nails. I also find the gas last longer than the use by date says. I had one that was 6 months out and worked fine.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I have had gas that was almost two years out and worked fine.
I have had Hilti, senco and still have a few Porter cable air pinners and a bostich narrow crown stapler.
By far my favorites have been the Paslodes.
Are the air guns silent? they make a lot of noise too.
No hose to trip over or get hung up on something.
No compressor to lug around, listen to and freeze.
Gun hangs on tool belt nicely.
Can carry all the finish nailing equipment in in one hand one trip.
And who bump nails trim anyway

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
The Paslode AIR 16ga angles is sweet. It used to be very expensive --- over $200, but I got mine for $79 as a fluke at HD one day.

I just used it yesterday and it's one of those "ah...." tools. Just feels good and works great.

But...it did freeze last week in the truck preventing me from using it. I think maybe the seals froze or something.

It was no fluke my friend. HD stopped selling them. I got mine for $50.:clap:
I saw them first come out and was like, that is sweet....but I hadn't switched to air yet. Every time a went back to that Home Depot (Flemington) I saw to price go down. 179, 159, 119,99 and finally $75.00. I said that is it. Time to go air.

I walked up to the pro desk, said, I will buy a rigid 18 awg gun if you sell me that 16 awg paslode for $50. Store manager came over and said deal....:clap: I went and got a Husky 4 gallon oil lube air compressor with roofing gun on sale for $139 IIRC...great compressor so far...used the roofer once too...that was a POS but it worked.:laughing:

That was back in Feb of this year, when I first showed up here. I was in the middle of trimming out a house...half of it was with the cordless...the rest was with air... I sold the cordless trim and framer and it payed for all the money I put out for the air...

When I first got the gun i was not crazy over the contact element. I loved the one on the cordless gun, wasn't used to the smaller one on the air gun...now I LOVE it...I can get the tip of the gun in small profiles of the molding and bury the nail someplace that is easy to fill and out of the way. I also opted for the bump fire trigger...

LOVE THAT....when nailing up base in a commerical application it makes like easy. load the nailer up with 1 1/4" nails, put some construction adhesive on the back and just lock nail away...running base is super fast with the bump fire trigger...

I used to thing I didn't need to nail any faster then my cordless could...then I used an air framer with the bump fire trigger...never looked back.

And who bump nails trim anyway
I do, running Base, chair rails, wall frames, crown, just about everything. Large crown gets tacked in place, then down the line I go, bam, bam, bam, bam.

bump firing is crucial when lock nailing in metal frame contruction....

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys,

Wow I wish I could get that angled air gun for that price!:eek: Around here the only paslode air guns lowes and the depot sell are the framers.

Lone, I just picked up some of the oil. You read my mind, I think this weekend I'm gonna open all my paslodes and do just what you said. Its funny I was looking at the driver and thinking I wonder if I could modify it to work any better, thanks for the tip!

BC, yup thats what mine was doing for a while, now its jaming about every
5th nail:laughing:

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
207 Posts
The bevel on the driver is to narrow the contact area to avoid a double hit?

I have heard that Paslode now has made in China brads which can cause jams. I still have the made in USA ones from them . Never had that happen in the 16ga straight older Paslode gas nailer, except I did in other guns with some off brand 15ga angle nails that were "T" heads instead of "D" shaped like the Senco DA type. I would suspect the brad nails , then the driver. I too use a few drops of stalube air tool oil straight down the driver path. I guess the cylinder would be good too using the specific Paslode oil.
I still have the straight 16ga Paslode but never have used it since getting the 15gaDA Hitachi gas nailer. Love that gun, esp. on a ladder, uses the yellow Paslode shorter cylinder. I do not bump fire on trim carpentry anyway. I know some really get off on how fast they can go but I prefer an accurate result over speed.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The bevel on the driver is to narrow the contact area to avoid a double hit?
Exactly. It seemed to me if it's grabbing the second nail, the nails are either slightly undersized in thickness, or the driver is too thick for the nails. There was no option to adjust the nail thickness so....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You didn't oil it, Oops

Thanks, Dave[/quo

I cleaned mine up real well and oiled it like crazy. Works great. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts