Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a16ga paslode finish nailer.What models are best and what are the advantages of the angled gun.I saw some on e-bay and don't know whethervto buy a new one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Paslode only makes one that I know of. I bought mine several years ago to get rid of hoses/cords on smaller jobs, love it. Their 16ga angled finish nailer.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
a few companies make the angled 16 gauge, dewalt did i dont know if they still do.. the hard part is finding the nails.. their not sold here anywhere locally

advantage wise angled nailers can get into tighter spaces because of how the magazine is tilted back. im also told they are less prone to jamming

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Paslode only makes one that I know of. I bought mine several years ago to get rid of hoses/cords on smaller jobs, love it. Their 16ga angled finish nailer.

Paslode makes a cordless 16ga angled and straight, as well as pneumatic 16ga angled and straight.

As far as nail jambs, I've found it's usually a result of using off brand poor quality fasteners, rather than the fault of the gun.

Advantage of angled nailer is the ability to get into tighter spaces.
Advantage of the straight nailer is less expensive nails and also more common, and shoots 3/4" to 2-1/2" (the angled nailer shoots 1-1/4" to 2-1/2")

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy the angled nailer. I have the 16 angled and the 18 straight. I only use the 16 on little jobs/punchlist stuff. Big jobs I use air. All of my local lumber yards carry the Paslode nails along with the blue and orange stores. I think you will find the dewalt/Stanley use the Paslode nails/fuel cells also. The Senco Fusion uses a different angle nail but I haven't read much good on that gun.
Honestly my Paslodes don't work as good as a pneumatic gun but I would be lost with out them. They just don't operate good enough to be an everyday/allday tool. Buy the Paslode, you know they will still be making them 10 years from now. I have a Porter cable that they made for a couple years and now they are gone along with the fuel cells for them.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I went down to home depot today to look at that exact nailer (angled 16 ga). I am looking for the new version, the one with the Li-ion battery.

From what I've read, it's a pretty good tool. Unfortunately the HD folks don't have it yet. (Vancouver and area) apparently it's due but no one knows when.

Couldn't even get a price.

I've got a big crown job coming up, and the paslode would be a real benefit to me on that one.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
image.jpg Got them about a year ago and love them . The new battery's last so much longer . Just keep them clean and try not to use old gas . Had the old style ones but lost them to a flood . So paslode stepped up and sent these to me .

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I bought a paslode years ago that for some reason never seemed to work right. Sent it for repair a few times and always seemed to jam up and constantly mid-fire even after repair. It sat in my garage for about 5 years, and last year I bought the senco fusion 16 gauge angled. It worked well, but then something went wrong and I had to send it out for repair...twice. The second time I sent it out, I saw my paslode still sitting in my garage untouched for the past 5 years. Said to myself what the hell let me see if I can get the paslode fixed too. Got them both repaired for $20 each. Now the paslode is working good as new. Was shooting some 5/4 pine into plaster with the senco, and the nails wouldn't sink all the way. Everything was working properly, just didn't have the balls to bury the nail. Switched over to the paslode and everything went in perfectly.

So to sum it up, I gave the paslode a bad rap bc I took it to a crappy repair guy. Got it repaired properly and now I like it better then my senco. And I may be weird but I really like the smell of the gas!

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I went down to home depot today to look at that exact nailer (angled 16 ga). I am looking for the new version, the one with the Li-ion battery.

From what I've read, it's a pretty good tool. Unfortunately the HD folks don't have it yet. (Vancouver and area) apparently it's due but no one knows when.

I've got a big crown job coming up, and the paslode would be a real benefit to me on that one.
Ok I called the supplier, and apparently they are not available in Canada, and it will be a year or so before they arrive. sigh.......

G*******t!!!

I guess I'll buy the old version, they have two that were used in a trade show that they want to sell off.

I could drive down to Bellingham or Seattle and buy one, but the exchange and duty rates at the border will make it expensive.

Monday!!! at least it's not raining today LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use a Paslode 16 Ga Finish and 18 Ga Brad. Great guns until they get a bit dirty or cold. They don't shoot well under 40 degrees. Someone told me it was the gas so we started keeping the fuel cells in the hot box, constantly at 70 degrees. That didn't make a difference.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I use a Paslode 16 Ga Finish and 18 Ga Brad. Great guns until they get a bit dirty or cold. They don't shoot well under 40 degrees. Someone told me it was the gas so we started keeping the fuel cells in the hot box, constantly at 70 degrees. That didn't make a difference.
Really? I use mine well down into the teens. Use two cells. Warm them both with hot water or the defroster. Put one in the gun and one in an inside jacket pocket. When you start to get misfires, swap the cells. It does help to keep the gun warm when you can. This prolongs the time it takes for the fuel cell in the gun to cool down.

I also don't clean mine regularly, only if I start having problems, which is almost never.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Some guys swear by the paslode's . I personally swear a lot when using them. I don't have time for climate controlled boxes to store fuel cells in and cleaning every 1000 nails. I use the 18v dewalt cordless nailer for over 10000 nails without any problems. Very easy to use and unjam, plus no fuel cells.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I guess I've been lucky with the Paslode. I like them, but we only use them for small jobs. Cordless is very handy for small jobs.
As for the cold, mine don't work when it is below 40. I just warm up the fuel cell before using. After I figured out what the problem was, it wasn't a big deal. Usually use them inside, they just sit in my truck which is out in the cold.
If I were buying another Paslode I would buy it refurbished from the company. ITW Construction is Paslode and they sell factory refurbished guns. You can choose between Class A and Class B. I would get Class B becuase you save a little and I don't care how shiny they look. You can also use the discount code "1307 REM15" it will give you 15% off and free shipping over $100 (which a nailer will be).

·
Registered
81 Posts

Personally I think 16 gauge is overkill on 99% of crown. Speaking of Paslode they sell a pc of crap 23 ga here at HD in Canada that's not even repairable. I took it to a place here and the parts guy said a guy just brought in the same one so he had just looked it up. Other than that I've had good luck with Paslode products.

·
BIRKHIMER BROS. INC.
13 Posts
Have (2) paslode framers and love them only draw back is when they get dirty,some of our work is on older homes that burnt coal for heat just seems like that just gums them up quicker.bought a senco fusion 16 gauge finish nailer last year and now use it more than my bostich air nailers for base trim and caseings and setting doors,only complaint is it only came with one battery .

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Today I got an email from the Canadian distributor. They tell me that the 902400 cordless 16 gauge angled finish nailer is discontinued. WTF???? I can't catch a break.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Ok the above post is wrong, ITW in Montreal has the wrong info. This nailer is available just not in Canada, and no one will say why.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Ok, I broke down and bought the old version here locally. Turns out that if I went down to Bellingham and got the newer one, I couldn't get the fuel cells for it here. Deal breaker!

Oh well :) gonna give it a try next week, I hope it turns out to be a work horse.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have the straight Paslode finish older model, I've had zero issues with it. But it's not one I would use on a daily 8 hr basis, it requires regular maintenance, you have cleaning, fuel, spark plug and battery charging. They are extremely handy though. If I had to buy another it would be the angled one. I bought the Dewalt angled and it lasted for about 10 nails and quit.

I also have the Paslode cordless framer and it gives me nothing but problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts