Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you guys have a partner?

i am being drug through crap between the job I am on and the jobs i schedule my guys to be at. it feels like it gets harder and harder to grow my little corp and it seems as if i am getting nowhere. quite frustrating! i had the idea that if there was another contractor on the same page as me, we could rise above personal growth issues by being available for more client and take on more work. am i delousional or am i on to something?

i just wanted to hear if this has worked for anyone in my situation and maybe some advice cause i need it more than ever! i have become a slave to my company once again...

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I think partnering has been discussed through various threads. Both good and bad, but ultimately with any partnership someone has to have a majority stake (51% or more).

I would think about hiring more competent guys - lead carpenters, foremen, etc. - have two (or however many you need) fully staffed and equipped crews. Probably a lot less headache than a partner.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Banned
917 Posts
how many of you guys have a partner?

i am being drug through crap between the job I am on and the jobs i schedule my guys to be at. it feels like it gets harder and harder to grow my little corp and it seems as if i am getting nowhere. quite frustrating! i had the idea that if there was another contractor on the same page as me, we could rise above personal growth issues by being available for more client and take on more work. am i delousional or am i on to something?

i just wanted to hear if this has worked for anyone in my situation and maybe some advice cause i need it more than ever! i have become a slave to my company once again...
I have a brand spanking new company with a partner, hasnt hit the dirt yet. At 45 I couldnt take it anymore, no way I can be good at everything in where I'm trying to go, so I decided to quit trying. He's everything I'm not so hopefully we'll be bulletproof. He does the business end, I do the build end. One nice thing is we'll be able to do this right since both of us can support ourselves until this takes off.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had a partner in my last business, and that is the main reason it didn't last. This time, I stayed small for the first few years (started out in the summer of '07) and just recently hired my first employee. He is a contractor, has been for longer than I've been alive. At a point in his career that he is tired of being the boss, wants more of a lead carpenter role. :thumbup: It's like having a partner, as he knows what he is doing, but still leaves it in my control. I figure I've got the next 6 months or so to get him dialed into my way of doing things, then if/when the economy turns back the right direction, we are ready to get a few helpers and grow the business!

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a brand spanking new company with a partner, hasnt hit the dirt yet. At 45 I couldnt take it anymore, no way I can be good at everything in where I'm trying to go, so I decided to quit trying. He's everything I'm not so hopefully we'll be bulletproof. He does the business end, I do the build end. One nice thing is we'll be able to do this right since both of us can support ourselves until this takes off.
how did you meet this guy? was he a contractor or business guy?

my thought was on 2 contractors working to grow a better company but now that i think of it, alot of my time is tied up in the buisness end of it. thanks for the thought...

·
Banned
917 Posts
how did you meet this guy? was he a contractor or business guy?
I put an ad on craigslist :laughing: expecting nothing. I got swamped with replies, many of them solid people. He had been a new housing contractor 20 years ago or so. I picked a guy with a proven track record in business and that I felt I could get along with. I went with my gut instinct and I feel solid about it so far.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put an ad on craigslist :laughing: expecting nothing. I got swamped with replies, many of them solid people. He had been a new housing contractor 20 years ago or so. I picked a guy with a proven track record in business and that I felt I could get along with. I went with my gut instinct and I feel solid about it so far.
of all places!! :no: glad it worked out for you

did you know what you were looking for in a partner, and did your add tell exactly whay you had to offer, or did it just come about that you guys matched so well...

sorry about the gay innuendo's:whistling

1 - 9 of 9 Posts