Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is partcle board (not OSB) used as sheathing for walls instead of plywood?
is it common?
where is partcle board safest to use?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
OSB--Oriented strand board---sometimes used for sheathing but never by me. Paticle board and OSB are similar if not the same, the main differences are the particle sizes, tighter chips are used in boards the get laminated for kitchen cabs or countertops..Here are some photos of different types GMOD

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...+board&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

link problem--google particle board IMAGES

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
Unless they have come up with a new formula for Particle board - it should never be used for sheathing & no it is not common anywhere I have been

Some cheap builders & most mobile home manufacturs use it for subflooring, but I don't recomend that

Where is it safest to use - subflooring & cabinet boxes where the house has plenty of time to air out from the off gassing & there is minimal chance of moisture getting to it

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,771 Posts
We used it under carpet & linoleum a lot in the late 80's. Now that the trend is hardwood. I hate telling potential clients their job is gonna be a couple bucks more per sq ft cause we gotta rip that stuff out & put in a more suitable subfloor before we can put down their new hardwood.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
. Paticle board and OSB are similar if not the same,
That's like saying Iron and Copper are similar if not the same.

OSB is structural, particle board is not. OSB is rated for exterior, particle board is not.

To the original question, particle board is not for use as sheathing/decking but is used as underlayment for some types of flooring as well as boxes for most stock cabinets.

Particle board is the normal base for laminate. countertops. If kept dry it is quite stable. Plywood and OSB will not provide a smooth enough and stable enough surface for laminate countertops.

Particle board is better than OSB or plywood for speaker enclosures because of its weight and stability. There are many applications where additional weight is a plus.

OSB, plywood and particle board are are all good products in the the correct applications.

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
A summer on Jacoma Blvd

is it common?
No it is not,

Funny story.
Was working in an industrial park site as an employee for a carpentry contractor about 30 years ago who was working for the developer who was a medium to large masonry contractor. The president of this developer hired his nephew "Perry" to supervise and oversee all work in this small one street industrial park. Now Perry had a lot of experience when it came to concrete and masonry, curb and walk, block and slab, But when it came to Carpentry aspects. He was clueless. We were pretty much doing anything that had to do with carpentry on these jobs. One building we were fabricating a lumber framed cornice detail that hung over the top of a particular building. We had fabricated sort of a truss system that hung over the parapet and were waiting on the roof for the sheathing. Perry shows up with a skid of........ something .....on a lull and starts elevating it to the roof where we were working. As it gets closer me and Dave noticed it aint plywood. Its 3/4 particle board!!!! We start wavin our arms down at Perry on the lull and shout down at him. WTF is this? Perry? He shouts back he got a deal on it and wants us to use it as sheathing over this parapet 40 feet in the air. I try arguing with him but he insists we at least TRY to use it. Ever try to hang particle board of a parapet up on pipe scaffolding? After a single sheet me and Dave both conclude this is nuts and go to the office down the street and tell Perry to take this stuff away. He did, Wonder where he is today? All that I can find in relation to that company is the Blvd named for the company in that industrial park.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
And then there is MDF, which is an upgrade to particle board, a better choice for any application that will stay dry, but definitely not for sheathing or roof deck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
is it common?
no, particle board doesn't have the structural properties of either oriented strand board (osb) or plywood.

think of structural wood as a naturally grown bundle of straws. its strength is in the collection of straws acting together, naturally. osb and plywood are smaller pieces of natural wood glued together in plates. strength is the result of human intervention with glue, layering and orientation of these smaller / thinner cuts of natural wood that individually and collectively retain that bundle of straw properties. glue-laminated beams are this same principal but with of much thicker stock wood. conventionally speaking structural timber design starts with this basic principal.

particle board is made of saw dust, any remnant of the woods natural straw-like quality gone. its structural qualities are in the glue and geometry of the shape. that's enough for some purposes but not enough to hold a building together.

·
Registered
103 Posts
is it common?
I was watching a documentary on the rebuilding of hurricane damage homes on the east coast. I was surprised they were using OSB for the walls and roof. I always thought plywood was superior, but after seeing that, I don't know.

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
OSB is rated for wall sheathing and/or roof sheathing. Is it any good? I guess so, but my house has plywood.

·
Making a living
236 Posts
particle board AARG

I am amazed where I see the stuff, but if I am there it is because it is failed. It has to be 100% dry with no chance of repeated or prolonged moisture contact. Here is a vote for tile floors in a bathroom. But I guess I should be lobbying for more use of particle board as it brings me more work in the future

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless they have come up with a new formula for Particle board - it should never be used for sheathing & no it is not common anywhere I have been

Some cheap builders & most mobile home manufacturs use it for subflooring, but I don't recomend that

Where is it safest to use - subflooring & cabinet boxes where the house has plenty of time to air out from the off gassing & there is minimal chance of moisture getting to it
Agreed. I would never use particle board in subflooring, or anywhere else moisture can get to. Particle board is terrible for absorbing water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Particle board is only for non-structural use. PERIOD!!! Any attempt to use it as a sheathing is dangerous. ( would like to see the guy that can nail it along edges without it blowing apart ) I know most responses have said not to use it, but I would stress that a guy can fall thru particle board if used as roof sheathing. I also can't imagine any bldg. inspector approving it. It IS good for laminate counter tops, But whenever I mention the possibility of Formica to a customer nowadays, they look at me like :rolleyes:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just did a job where a lady in a mobile home went to town , left a window open in bedroom, rained while she was gone. We had to replace that whole section of floor. I was always told OSB was wood chips glued together, while particle board was sawdust glued together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts