Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be covering about half of the garage for a bedroom/laundry room area with vinyl plank floors in Texas.

There is roughly a 2 inch curb above the extended garage slab that will be included in the conversion. I don't have the exact dimensions, I'm in the middle of closing on the house and just making plans.

I need to raise the garage floor up roughly 2 inches to match the curb, while leveling the floor to account for the natural slope of the garage for drainage.

I have two ideas I'm thinking about accomplishing this.

Option 1. Install 6 mil poly to garage slab. Attach pressure treated 2X6s laid flat to concrete slab with concrete anchors. Install plywood on top to match curb height. Apply self leveling over the plywood to remove slope and match curb.

I'm open to shimming the 2X6s on top of the slab to help level it. Or maybe they could go under the plywood - not sure the best method. Just concerned if the shims will support the weight.

Option 2. Install 6 mil poly. Install 3/4" pressure treated plywood directly on poly. Attach second 3/4" layer plywood, screwing and gluing to first layer. Possibly install third 1/4" if necessary to match height (This method is assuming curb is less than 2 inches) Apply self leveling to remove slope.

Any suggestions, tips, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Audio/Video/Security/Electrical.

Outside my realm on this one. Main thorn in my side on this one is leveling the floors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm with 7Δ41, hire a contractor, a concrete contractor can pour you a topping slab to raise and level that garage out.

·
Registered
GC
325 Posts
The last time I did this I used levelquick for the entire thing. The slab slopped from zero to an inch and a half. Cleaned the floor, primed, set a few height indicators and started pouring. Fifty two bags later I had a level floor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with 7Δ41, hire a contractor, a concrete contractor can pour you a topping slab to raise and level that garage out.
I could only raise the floor maybe 2 inches to the curb stop. That would be the bare minimum to pour a slab on top of another slab. Concerned it would eventually fail.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Concrete fill would be my fist choice. Plywood on sleepers is second. I would not install SLC on the ply: it is not flexible, if there is any deflection in the ply later on, the slc will break up and will sound like corn flakes when you walk on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts