Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My company (www.acleansweepmi.com) just completed a project where we had to stencil numbers in 122 parking spaces. We used 2 standard 0-9 number stencils to complete this job, but we ran into a couple of issues (that we were able to creatively overcome).

The stencils were small and as we were painting on concrete we could not have any overspray. To insure this I made a "shield" out of a cardboard box. I taped the edges and it worked pretty well...but the 1's in our sets were only half the size of the other letters and the sizes of the numbers changed as the quantity of numbers changed...

So we created two new number 1 stencils (a left and a right) so all the numbers would fit in 1 of 2 shields (1-99 and 100-122).

I am just wondering how other people who are doing striping and stenciling are dealing with this issue? Are there better stencils out there? What would you recommend?

Thank you

Sincerely,
Camren de Waard

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I am just wondering how other people who are doing striping and stenciling are dealing with this issue? Are there better stencils out there? What would you recommend?
I saw a guy doing it the other day. I don't know if he cuts out his own stensils or if he buys an entire set but he had large individual stensils for every number from 001 thru the hundreds. He also had stensils that said, "Handicapped Parking Only - Van Accessible" etc. but he wasn't using any kind of "make your own sign" type of stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ArtisanRemod,
I have looked at alot of stencils too...The problem is that you can't really see their functionality online. I want to speak to people who have used the stencils so they can tell me how they found them.

There are some good ones available, but they are about 8 times the price of the basic stencils. I am wondering if it is enough value in these expensive stencils to justify spending the money.

Thanks for your response though.

-Camren

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Gotcha. I used to moonlight for my buddy painting lines in lots. I know we had a set of standard stencils but they did allow overspray, I know what you're talking about. I'm sure someone experienced will jump in. This place is a great resource. Good luck

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I have only seen it done once here by chance and the guys had huge stencils, i do not recall them spraying them though, for some reason i recall them rolling the paint down. One guy went around sweeping, second guy was grabbing stencils and laying them out, third guy walked around rolling and another guy came along picking them up and helping the second guy. This was a couple yrs ago in a small store parking lot. They were there less than 20 minutes and were gone to the next job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most professional striping contractors use low-density polyethylene (LDPE) that is 1/16" or 1/8" thick for their stencils. I like to have 4" of clear space from the edge of the wording or symbol to the edge of the stencil to allow for overspray. Once the paint dries it can be easily peeled off for repeated use. Hope this helps.

Jared Fishback
Owner - Fishback Striping
www.fishbackstriping.com

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Most professional striping contractors use low-density polyethylene (LDPE) that is 1/16" or 1/8" thick for their stencils. I like to have 4" of clear space from the edge of the wording or symbol to the edge of the stencil to allow for overspray. Once the paint dries it can be easily peeled off for repeated use. Hope this helps.

Jared Fishback
Owner - Fishback Striping
www.fishbackstriping.com
Man you gotta love C.T. some one asks next thing the guys first post ever has the answer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used to number all the floor bins in one of my commercial customers warehouse. Hundreds of them.
I would buy the oil infused cardboard stencils for like $12 a set and buy 20 sets of them.

I would get probably 30 uses out of each one before it was so thickly covered with paint it would be unusable.

5 or 6 or 7 cardboard overspray protectors for each various size and it was pretty simple although grueling work. Luckily for me I was inside. I can't imagine trying to wrestle with cardboard stencils on a windy day.

Not complicated work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts