Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason this steamer cannot be used for paper removal? Maybe attach a different end to place on the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why I mentioned a different end for it.

I have never tried steam for paper removal. I am not sure of the learning curve. I do know not to get close to anything you do not want damaged by the steam. I removed a tiny bit of finish from a 1903 Murphy bed (mine) by having this thing a few inches from the bottom of it.

A boxed end would eliminate some of that I think.

Then again, maybe I should stick to the pump sprayer and scrapers.

Thanks.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I'd be interested to find out what kind of results you get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My company has done a ton a wallpaper removal - nursing homes. Do yourself a favor and buy a product DIF. It is an enzyme that loosens the paste. Get a bug sprayer and get the water as hot as you possibly can. Spray the crap out of it and give the product time to work. I spray it again right before I'm ready to get top coat off. Then try to peel the top layer off in one solid sheet. A backing will be left. Spray again. The backing using falls right off. Some of the tougher jobs I have sprayed as many as 10 times. Buy DIF at SW.

Steamers will take you forever.

·
Registered
106 Posts
faithstep said:
My company has done a ton a wallpaper removal - nursing homes. Do yourself a favor and buy a product DIF. It is an enzyme that loosens the paste. Get a bug sprayer and get the water as hot as you possibly can. Spray the crap out of it and give the product time to work. I spray it again right before I'm ready to get top coat off. Then try to peel the top layer off in one solid sheet. A backing will be left. Spray again. The backing using falls right off. Some of the tougher jobs I have sprayed as many as 10 times. Buy DIF at SW.

He is 100% correct. That is the only way to strip it. I have done miles upon miles of paper removal. Just let the striper do the work we say.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts

He is 100% correct. That is the only way to strip it. I have done miles upon miles of paper removal. Just let the striper do the work we say.
So you guys are saying that spraying a wall 10 times to get the paper off is faster and easier than plugging in a steamer, waiting all of 5 minutes and pulling paper down right away?

With a steamer you get not only the paper, but the backing off at the same time. My steamer is about 12" wide, so I can take down a ceiling to floor strip, 12" wide, in about 2 minutes.

We just stripped a large laundry room (12x8) in about 2 hours. All we had to do was scrape off some loose garbage and start our wall prep.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have removed paper in the past. I always used the bug/garden sprayer. That being said, I am not sure I could ever tell if Dif gave any advantage over plain water.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you guys are saying that spraying a wall 10 times to get the paper off is faster and easier than plugging in a steamer, waiting all of 5 minutes and pulling paper down right away?

With a steamer you get not only the paper, but the backing off at the same time. My steamer is about 12" wide, so I can take down a ceiling to floor strip, 12" wide, in about 2 minutes.

We just stripped a large laundry room (12x8) in about 2 hours. All we had to do was scrape off some loose garbage and start our wall prep.
Thanks. Don't know why there is no thanks button at the bottom of your reply. Everyone else has one on my screen.

Anyway, got a pic of your steamer? Is it similar to the one I have?

Is using a steamer neater than using a sprayer?

I would be interested in getting or making and end for mine that would cover more area and experiment with it until I could remove paper and not damage the wall.

Mine came out of a clothing store.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Do you perforate the paper at all? I always did. Actually, I will cut it with my utility knife. This tends to make for a lot of smaller pieces. And no, for the most part, I do not cut the drywall, paneling, etc.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Thanks. Don't know why there is no thanks button at the bottom of your reply. Everyone else has one on my screen.

Anyway, got a pic of your steamer? Is it similar to the one I have?

Is using a steamer neater than using a sprayer?

I would be interested in getting or making and end for mine that would cover more area and experiment with it until I could remove paper and not damage the wall.

Mine came out of a clothing store.
I have an older B&D model, probably 20 years old. Heats up real fast. I have purchased one recently and it took 15 minutes to warm up and didn't do nearly as good a job.

I will try and post a pic of it and find the model number for you.

As far as scoring the paper, you have to be careful, it can cause more harm than good to the drywall underneath. Another reason I prefer steam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. They are just trying to sell a tool that makes it more difficult. You want to get the paper off in one piece or as big of pices you can. Those scorers just make it more time consuming as you have LOTS pieces to get off. There is no fun in removing wallpaper and every job is different. Trust a steamer is too slow. Use the heck out of the DIF and it will work. If it a difficult job use more DIF. I feel for you.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
No. They are just trying to sell a tool that makes it more difficult. You want to get the paper off in one piece or as big of pices you can. Those scorers just make it more time consuming as you have LOTS pieces to get off. There is no fun in removing wallpaper and every job is different. Trust a steamer is too slow. Use the heck out of the DIF and it will work. If it a difficult job use more DIF. I feel for you.
He is right, if you don't have a good steamer and know how to use it. Much slower than DIF. If you do know how to use it, much faster and cheaper. You never have to waste your money on DIF! A steamer pays for it self after a few jobs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts