Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any contractors out there that are paper contractors who just want to work on the business end of home improvements?

I want to find out the best of business practices to run an employee based company.

Can you share a little of your story of what works and what does not?

Thanks
BAMBAM

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I'd rather be the money contractor - just the guy who collects all the profits after the job is done and paying the bags on contractor and paper contractor.

....wait, would there be any profit left? :sad:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
We've cleaned up ALOT of messes left behind by paper contractors that have no experience in the feild, just some "college courses" on construction management. I think....i KNOW it's much easier for guys like me/us that have paid our dues in the feild, made our contacts, forged our relationships across many borders to make it as a "paper contractor" later in time because we've actually been in the trenches and know what it takes in real life vs what some schmuck in a class room is telling you. It makes it easier to diagnois a job while bidding since there's a 1000 things we've run into and know what to look for/expect so we can foresee, bring to light possible problems in the future instead of throwing customers the never percieved well, "we have a problem"

I know it can be done, i know other's do it, but i feel from a professional typically and initally founded on reputation it's much better to actually have a sound/strong foundation to start with since it makes building yourself up a much easier process. Truth be know after over 20yrs in the business and 17yrs offically on my own i've pulled back quite a bit on the acutal hands on unless its a phase i consider technical and i make it a point to be on site so i know i wont be getting concerned phone calls and materials/time wont be wasted 1 little bit by the crew pondering on the best way to tackle the situation, but even at that i do alot of barking vs sweating...though i still pay my dues everyday:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
You really need to know how to do the work so you can jump in if you have employee problems. That said, I think a business can run more efficiently with the head guy spending all his time scaring up business and making sure the job runs smoothly.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
My tool belt is like a yo-yo. I prefer it off but lately sales haven't supported enough employees to keep it off. And besides, it gets lonely.

One thing you have to know is your numbers and how many you need in the field to support your office. Then you just trade one job for the other and sell enough to keep it off.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Donald Trump seems to have done pretty well just putting deals together, the differences in being a contractor and being a commercial developer notwithstanding.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Paper contractors have always baffled me. How do they communicate with their project managers, clients, etc. when they don't know the difference between window casing and a hip rafter?
Are they just great BSers or what.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I think if you could round up all the paper contractors in a group you could start sorting them into different subcategories. You would probably find that some are knowledgeable, some are not. Some would be upright and honest and some would be otherwise. Just like other groups of people you would find all kinds within the group.

They have a place in our industry. At a very basic level they are the salesmen that secure the job and hire tradesmen to complete it. Have you ever met a sub that is a sub because he doesn't like to deal with the customer? A paper contractor would provide a valuable service to these tradesmen.

Allen Edwards comes to mind. He builds high end homes for the wealthy using all subs for the work. Not sure, but I don't think he ever swung a hammer. But that doesn't prevent him from putting out an excellent product.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
A good "paper contractor" sells the projects with enough profit to hire all the right experienced people...estimators, project managers, lead carpenters, good subs... :whistling

I'm not saying it's better to have next to no experience in the trenches, just that it can be done by an intelligent businessman.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Are there any contractors out there that are paper contractors who just want to work on the business end of home improvements?

I want to find out the best of business practices to run an employee based company.

Can you share a little of your story of what works and what does not?

Thanks
BAMBAM
I like your "trade" :laughing:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts