Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a sub build an electrical "closet" around the panel. Reassured me it wouldn't be a problem.

It passed the framing inspection with no issues.

Rolls around the final inspection and it failed. Inspector said we need 30" x 36" of clearance floor to ceiling. No doors.

Looks like I'm on the hook to build a new closet, but wanted to make sure there's no other work around.

Looking at NEC 110.26. There is 30" of clearance side to side. The height of the door is above the 6.5' requirement. The problem is the depth. The closet is only 18" deep. But when the door is open, there is more than 36" of working space.

Would replacing the door with a 30" suffice (so when the door is open there's enough working room), or is the only option a full rebuild?

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
Ditch the closet idea altogether. It will only attract stuff that will just get in the way of it panel.

Frame a new wall so the panel is flush with the finished surface. Then cover the panel with a painting.

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
A couple of points. One is you won't get 30" clear opening with a 30" door there. I'm also surprised your inspector didn't call that a closet and disallow it completely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ditch the closet idea altogether. It will only attract stuff that will just get in the way of it panel.

Frame a new wall so the panel is flush with the finished surface. Then cover the panel with a painting.
It's a remodel, not a fresh build. Due to aesthetics homeowners wants a closed space (aka closet). Inside is the electrical panel, water meter, main water shut off valve, etc.

So far I'm stuck at either a much larger closet; or your idea + several small access panels; or one large cutout and a very large access panel for access to everything inside. Leaning towards the latter if the "closet" isn't salvageable.

A couple of points. One is you won't get 30" clear opening with a 30" door there. I'm also surprised your inspector didn't call that a closet and disallow it completely.
That's a good point, a 36" door won't fit, seems only option is a full redo.

Framing inspector didn't have any issue, final inspector did call it a closet (in so many words), and said to either make it bigger or get rid of it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
It's a remodel, not a fresh build. Due to aesthetics homeowners wants a closed space (aka closet). Inside is the electrical panel, water meter, main water shut off valve, etc.
You've got other issues besides clearance. You've got foreign systems inside that working space as well.

If your inspector didn't call you on that, he/she should receive some remedial training.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've got other issues besides clearance. You've got foreign systems inside that working space as well.

If your inspector didn't call you on that, he/she should receive some remedial training.
It's grandfathered in, we didn't replace the panel or move the pipes.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
It's grandfathered in, we didn't replace the panel or move the pipes.
It was a violation back when it was originally installed.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Rip the door out, pass inspection...then use your imagination.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
That was poor planning from the get go.

I think I would have installed a couple cabinets there with the water meter accessible from one of them. Like Sparky said, the panel could have finished flush to a wall and been hidden by a mirror or picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is 32" inside then you (barely) have room for a 30" door. That should give you a net opening of ~ 29 1/4". Check with the inspector and see if he would allow that.
That's one of the things we'll ask, but most likely just redo the whole thing.

Thanks everyone. I'm meeting with the inspector this week to discuss the options and we'll decide how to proceed.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
Move the service panel to another location..problem solved.

Tom
So......... relocate the feeders. Relocate the branch circuits. Relocate the grounding.

And what about all the splices you'll need to make where the existing panel is? You'll still need access to those.

Yeah..... no problems. Electrician rhymes with magician, so they must do the same thing. We just wave our linesmans pliers and chant "It is moved!"

Reactions: RickP

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
So......... relocate the feeders. Relocate the branch circuits. Relocate the grounding.

And what about all the splices you'll need to make where the existing panel is? You'll still need access to those.

Yeah..... no problems. Electrician rhymes with magician, so they must do the same thing. We just wave our linesmans pliers and chant "It is moved!"
I heard you can even generate electricity when the power is out.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts

Details, details...

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts