Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam looking to buy a new pancake comp. Most guys I work with have the Bostitch . They love it. What do you think? I had a PC. This will be mostly for trim.:thumbsup:

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Iam looking to buy a new pancake comp. Most guys I work with have the Bostitch . They love it. What do you think? I had a PC. This will be mostly for trim.:thumbsup:

Most any of them work fine. I have a PC 150, and a 135. The 150 is about 10 years old and has sprayed a couple hundred buckets of knockdown by now. I had a Bostich until my son decided he needed it worse than I did. A large percentage of failure rates come from operator error & failing to break them in properly. I have been around the Rolairs....and they are a bit quieter, but work the same as most any other compressor.

I have heard guys complain about certain tools burning up after 2 weeks. But what they don't say, was that they were running the 15 amp tool on a 100' 14 gauge extension cord, or they took it straight out of the box and put it under a load instead of it running for 15- 20 minutes with the drain open to let everything wear in.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
we have the porter cable. just bought a new one a few months ago after our other one started acting up after 5 years. both times bought the combo that comes with 3 trim guns and a hose at home depot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I killed my Bostitch 6gal pancake in just a few months. No heavy use really, mostly trim and some light framing. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. It was loud as hell and took forever to catch up. By that I mean the run time seemed rather long and also if I used my Senco 15ga on bump fire it wouldn't sink the 4th or 5th nail (like the pressure suddenly dropped by 50psi or so). Now that I think of it, the regulator was crap also. Seemed like it wouldn't stay exactly put on a setting even with the plastic lock nut tightend.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
some no-brainers with compressors: plug them straight into a power source or a very short very heavy duty cord. and drain the air/water after every use or at least every other use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rol-air, all day, every day.

Had a Bostitch, and an Interchange, both for a few months, all the others were/are Rol-air. From our smallest to our largest, I won't ever again buy anything else.

Mike

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
Rolair JC-10. Had a noisy PC pancake...I gave it away once I got the rolair. If you get a JC10, you won't be dissapointed.

Side note - California Air tools offers what appears to be the same motor/compressor guts on various config compressors. I'd look at them and see if anything suits your fancy.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
For something getting light use, I would spring for something quiet, like the Senco.
I'm tired of the noise.
I heard or read somewhere (maybe on this forum) about pancake compressors being banned from some jobsites, for safety reasons, I believe that it may have been commercial usage.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
most of the pancakes are oil-free and noisy - I can't stand them. Get a decent oil-lubed quieter compressor.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
most of the pancakes are oil-free and noisy - I can't stand them. Get a decent oil-lubed quieter compressor.
I have a oil free that runs at 62db (quieter than a conversation) and it has aluminum tanks so it's lighter and no worry of rust. Oil compressors are only good indoors or in warm climates.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I don't own a Bostitch pancake compressor. I have heard they are loud. (pun) A friend has one. It is so loud I can't be near it. Drives me crazy. Maybe he got the only loud one, but it is enough I won't have one.
Rol-air.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most pancake compressors are junk. The motors are too small. I am usually not a fan of Bostitch but this little guy is a rock star!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004285RLS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of guys have it backwards and think a bigger tank and smaller motor is the way to go. In fact for a trim nailer a smaller tank and bigger motor is the right set up. I even run my framing nailer with this little bugger. I have had it for a year and its still running strong, no issues.:thumbsup:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Most pancake compressors are junk. The motors are too small. I am usually not a fan of Bostitch but this little guy is a rock star!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004285RLS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of guys have it backwards and think a bigger tank and smaller motor is the way to go. In fact for a trim nailer a smaller tank and bigger motor is the right set up. I even run my framing nailer with this little bugger. I have had it for a year and its still running strong, no issues.:thumbsup:

I bigger motor is always better then a smaller one....as long as you keep it under 15 amps...then it might be a PITA....but yeah, I agree with your comments. Having 6 gallons of air means nothing when your still waiting for the pump. I would rather 2 gallons of air and a pump that can push out the air faster then I can use it. The JC10 does this for all my trim guns. I do have to wait for air for a few seconds or shoot a little slower when I am nailing off sheathing or headers with a framing gun....on the rare occasion I do that. I get 6 to 7 rapid shots and then need to stop...or I just slow down between each shot. At this point I have been eyeing up the 4 gallon 2hp version that California Air Tools sells. That would be the hot ticket for me when I need more then the JC10.

One of these anyway....

http://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...919&sr=8-2&keywords=california+air+compressor

http://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...919&sr=8-8&keywords=california+air+compressor

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I've got several pancakes all work but have stupid issues cheaper to get a new one,

I got a twin tube craftsman that's just too dam heavy to want too lug around!

Mine last about 2 years before any issues,

Had a speedaire for the shop but it died doing a paint job so I got a newer 2 hp vertical tank to finish that job.

They are all junk when they are broke!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts