Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Copper Pan Forming

Anybody else put their pan former on the roof? Just a few pix of one I started this week. Only got one panel in due to not working a full day. The pictures are in no particular order, nor did I preview them. House Vehicle Roof Games Building

Roof Architecture Shadow Asphalt Floor

Asphalt Road surface Roof Shadow Walkway

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's an important detail. In picture # 3, you can see, if you look closely, two chalk lines. A 3" swatch has already been cut off for 73". I'm about to cut along the near line to remove 5" form the second portion of the pan. I'll use the 'upper' line to bend a 4" leg to go along the dormer wall. There will be a 2" leg for the rest of the way. When folded below the dormer corner, it will fold over the inner panel in front of the dormer.
The cleats are in reverse of where they will eventually be. Both adjoining panels will be the male 1-1/2" leg and as the double lock seam is formed, they will be locked into the 1-1/2" seam.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Though not shown, the outer leg of my anchor panel is flush with the rafter tails. There will be no seam below the valley. The finished panel is 11" wide. Most of the others will be 16-1/2" wide.
I also form my steel panels roofs this way, though it takes longer.
The break in the roof is box folded, not cut. No caulk, no solder.
It's only 40 degrees. The cleats are spcaed off the panels about 1/8" -3/16" so they can expand freely when the temps hit 98 around here. There won't be any space there then. This alone can add 20+ years to the life of a roof because there will not be any oilcanning or pinching of the panels. This is VERY important no matter what metal is used. The panels can last as long as a flat piece of metal lying on a bench, or in the yard.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not as flat as it looks Dennis. About 3/12. I tore the tin roof off becasue the owner got tired of painting it. I had installed it about 20 years ago. No leaks or other issues before. I'm looking, but can't pix of the original tin I installed there.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy, this thread brings back some memories. It's been probably 20 years since I laid one like that. We do all our forming in the shop now, as well.

I've never done copper in longer than 10' lengths, but I've laid a lot of terne like that. Keep the pics coming.
Later maybe. Got to run now. Carry on without me guys!.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for posting pics, love to see more.

I have an old place on church hill with a terne roof, love the old stuff.

You working in northside? See lots of stucco in the pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts