Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to upgrade my kitchen cabinets and build some new ones. I plan on painting them but I'm not sure of the best way to achieve what I'm after. I will be painting bare wood (new doors) and would like a good, durable finish but would also like to see the grain of the wood show as much as possible (not so much coloring but the texture) and have a varnished appearance overall. Would a clear sealer serve as a primer that can be directly painted over? Can I apply a varnish over the paint? Would it hurt to thin down the paint so it doesn't clog the grain of the wood as much? I thought about using a colored stain but I don't want to have to strip the casings- those will definitely be painted but I'm not as concerned about them as I am the doors. I know what I want- just not sure how to get there. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why don't you consider painting the cabinet frames and boxes in a solid color and perhaps pickling the new doors in a color that complements the frames and then top coating with a clear sealer. You might want to treat the bare wood doors with a wood conditioner first to get an even spead for the stain / pickling mixture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts