Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, To all you Painters out there. I'm putting together a proposal for a former Cust. who wants all thier inside trim/ doors /windows etc. painted white. I have painting exp. But have never done this before and do not know how to price it . If anyone can shed some light on this topic I'd appreciate it. Is there an easy way of figuring it out . Because I would have no way of knowing how long it may take until I actually start the job . Thanks for any help I may receive .

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I don't know how much there is, what kind of condition it's in and prep it will take, and I don't know what you expect to make for your time. That's the key, and only you can answer that.

How much do you want to make, let's say, per day for yourself?

How much overhead do you have (broken down to a daily total)?

How much (reasonable) profit do you want your company to realize off a job of this size?

There is no magical "per sq ft" number. You need to take all of those things there, add them together, and you'll have a total. If you don't know your overhead, you should. Calculate all your business expenses, fuel, cell phones, vehicles, insurance, advertising, etc for the whole year and divide it by the number of days you work per year. You'll have a number that tells you how much it's costing you per day, just to stay in business. Add your salary too....now you'll have a workable number. You know it costs you $XXX to go to work every day for yourself and have a paycheck.

Take that daily number and decide how many days this job will take, and add up the cost for those days... (it could be a weekly number, whatever) Add your profit to that daily number, then add your cost of materials, plus any markup for the materials.

Waaalla! You have a number! ....and this forum has a search feature to help you answer bidding questions that have been THOROUGHLY covered in here! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks double AA, I just thought there might be a break down price , For example $ amount per lin.foot for baseboard or $ amount per six panel doors. This is quite a big job, at least 20 doors 20 windows .and tons of baseboard and crown molding in the dining area. I'm working on replacing the windows with white vinyl instead of painting. The Cust. says some of them fog up in the Winter . That would be a pay day. :D !!

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Paul Nee said:
... I just thought there might be a break down price , For example $ amount per lin.foot for baseboard or $ amount per six panel doors.
It would not be the right way to go about it, it would not take enough into consideration,, and would not be accurate for you and your needs
AAPaint's reply is the way to go
Baseboards and 6 panel doors should be some of the first things you figure out
If I gave you my numbers, I don't think it'd work for you
In fact, they'd be way off for you
I have years of experience and am wicked fast, accurate, and clean
I charge accordingly
You need to figure out your numbers

You might want to browse the old threads in the forum as AAPaint suggested
There is a lot of invaluable info here

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks slick shift I appreciate the info.
slickshift said:
It would not be the right way to go about it, it would not take enough into consideration,, and would not be accurate for you and your needs
AAPaint's reply is the way to go
Baseboards and 6 panel doors should be some of the first things you figure out
If I gave you my numbers, I don't think it'd work for you
In fact, they'd be way off for you
I have years of experience and am wicked fast, accurate, and clean
I charge accordingly
You need to figure out your numbers

You might want to browse the old threads in the forum as AAPaint suggested
There is a lot of invaluable info here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts