Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Painting Vinyl Siding

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  AAPaint 
#1 ·
Painting Vinyl Siding for $200 Alex.

The answer is:

The term used to describe the warping of vinyl siding that may occur when applying a darker color of paint than the original color of the siding.

What is __________.

Anyone care to answer this one.

I was aware of the problem that may occur but actually just learned the term used to describe it.

Tom Rohland, Jr.
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

#7 · (Edited)
How about a dumb ass who should have never painted vinyl siding int he first place. What a sin that is.

BTW I want to say OIL CANNING. That's what happens to vinyl siding when it is nailed too tight and the effects of thermal radiation (heat) causes the siding to warp. That's just a guess though since I am really not sure what this phenomina you described is called.

#10 ·
I see no reason why vinyl siding can't be recycled. After all a few vinyl sidings and windows are made out of recycled plastics. It would make sence to me to recycle this material since there is soooo much of it (poundage) when you strip it off a house. Think of all the vinyl jobs you've stripped, now think of how many siding companies are in your area, now think of the tonage in the land fills of vinyl siding alone.

#12 ·
Around here everyone recycles their plastgic bottles. Infact the city of Chicago makes you sort your garbage or they won't pick it up. Quite a few suburbs are the same. Now that's alot of plastic, a city of millions recycling all their empty pop bottles, milk cartons, detergent bottles etc...

I see no reason why a recycling facility couldn't take a few tons of vinyl siding per day. I do know that the facility, or a some facility some where, would need to be specialized to remove unrelated debris like insulation wood and fasteners from the mix. That's not something the empty bottle recyclers have to deal with.

The state and federal governments give all sorts of grants for enviromental work. I wonder if this qualifies. I think you are onto something Bergen.

#13 ·
Tom Rohland said:
Painting Vinyl Siding for $200 Alex.

The answer is:

The term used to describe the warping of vinyl siding that may occur when applying a darker color of paint than the original color of the siding.

What is __________.

Anyone care to answer this one.

I was aware of the problem that may occur but actually just learned the term used to describe it.

Tom Rohland, Jr.
so... uhm... whats the correct term?

#15 ·
Tom Rohland said:
So...uhm...where the heck have you been?

We've been waiting for you.

By the way, what's your guess?

Tom Rohland, Jr.

I'm with trey, vinyl siding warp. I actually did some research on it and couldn't find any thing else out.

#17 ·
Vinyl Siding Warp

Warping or buckling of vinyl siding panels that have been repainted.

Possible Causes
# Most likely cause is that vinyl siding was painted with a darker color paint than the original color. Dark paint tends to absorb the heat of the sun, transferring it to the substrate. When vinyl siding expands dramatically, it is not able to contract to its original dimensions.

Solution
# Paint vinyl siding in a shade no darker than the original. Whites, off-whites, pastels and other very light colors are good choices. Top quality acrylic latex paint is the best type of paint to use on vinyl siding, because the superior flexibility of the paint film enables it to withstand the stress of expansion and contraction cycles cause by outdoor temperature changes.
# Siding that has warped or buckled should be assessed by a siding or home repaint contractor to determine the best remedy. The siding may have to be replaced.
What is the prize? Here's the link to where I found it.... http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/Decorate/Paint/Exterior/PQUI_Vinyl.asp?poe=homestore

#18 ·
Valiant attempt my young warrior!

However, not the answer I was looking for.

NEXT!

LOL

Tom Rohland, Jr.

PS If you'll scroll back thru the replies you will find the answer.

OIL CANNING.

OIL CANNING IS THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR.

I believe GRUMPY had the correct response.

Way to go GRUMPY!

#21 ·
Wow, what a wierd name for warped siding! Funny how some goon somewhere has come up with these terms that don't really fit the problem. Why is it OIL canning....what if you used LATEX? What has been or is being canned?

As a matter of a fact, oil and canning play no part in the process this describes. I think I'll stick to the "vinyl siding warp" term, thanks.

BTW, that site won't come up for me. It starts loading and just halts. Oh, and every "great" paint job starts with a great prep job, not that website, lol!

(I'm only being a smart ass cause I didn't win a prize, lol!) :Thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.