Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Roofing/Siding Contractor
25 Posts
What do you think are some of the best type of paints for vinyl siding? We are looking at a painting job and considering our options.

There are so many types to choose, what is your experience?

http://www.NJDiscountVinylSiding.com

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have painted vinyl siding with good success. As always I will recommend to go with the best quality paint you can. I would go with a satin latex paint. You won't go wrong with SW Duration, Resilience, Super Paint etc.

As far as prep, power wash and kill all mold and mildew.
Whichever paint you choose I always add Flood Emulsabond to the FIRST COAT of paint only. This is a bonding agent that will make sure the paint sticks for sure. Sherwin Williams will tell you not to as it will void any warranty.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How to Paint Vinyl Siding on your Wayne NJ House

Thanks ohio painter, for the good tip. I will also, look into the bonding agent.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First Coat of Paint?

question, the first coat of paint, do you mean first put primer than first coat of paint?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The emulsa bond added to first finish coat will act somewhat as a primer, providing the siding wasn't so bad as to need a real primer. However, price wise, a cheaper general purpose primer tinted to the final color might be less expensive, then top coat it.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I believe that with vinyl (or aluminum) siding that there is little advantage of using a primer. You certainly can and it wouldn't be wrong. I certainly believe in using quality primers in most situations but this is not one.

For vinyl I just go with two coats of good quality house paint, I add the bonding agent to the first coat only.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I know a guy that just got to buy a house of siding because he painted the laps and butt joints and the whole thing buckled. Not sure if this would always be the case but something to think about.

·
Registered
818 Posts
For aluminum, primer should be oil base.

Also, what about laps showing old color when the weather gets cold?

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I install vinyl siding and thought my customers could save money by painting some projects. However, vinyl contracts and expands, so now I am thinking will it be ok.

Some say yes and some say no. I am not sure, perhaps it will be good for an investment property or something inexpensive which the owner wants.

However, I am not sure it may work for an owner occupied family house, not sure

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the vinyl siding is old and slick, and acrylic primer will provide good adhesion for the topcoat.

I know a guy that just got to buy a house of siding because he painted the laps and butt joints and the whole thing buckled. Not sure if this would always be the case but something to think about.

The primary caution with painting vinyl siding is to stay with a pastel color or white. Dark colors absorb heat, and can cause warping or buckling.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
If the vinyl siding is old and slick, and acrylic primer will provide good adhesion for the topcoat.

The primary caution with painting vinyl siding is to stay with a pastel color or white. Dark colors absorb heat, and can cause warping or buckling.
This feller seemed to think that it was caused by the fact that all the butt joints and locks joints were glued together and it didn't allow it to move. Maybe color had something to do with it, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This is one of those subjects with so many variables. I would be hesitant to paint the newer thinner vinyl in a dark color due to possible warping concerns.
The older heavier vinyl siding may be ok. To be safe stick to lighter colors.

I disagree with the oil primer on aluminum.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
This feller seemed to think that it was caused by the fact that all the butt joints and locks joints were glued together and it didn't allow it to move. Maybe color had something to do with it, I don't know.
probably was a bit of both,paint can definitely ''glue'' the seams together,iv'e had painted aluminum siding that was a bear to get down,a thick layer right under the bottom lock wouldn't allow the panel to unhook

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Pressure washing vinyl siding thoroughly will put microscopic scratches on the siding surfaces creating "tooth" for the paint to stick to. Add to that todays high quality latex paint (improved bonding properties) makes painting vinyl siding not a big worry. I'd have no qualms just spraying one coat of high quality finish paint on after a thorough pressure washing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I had my house (aluminum siding) painted 6 years ago. Not one problem. We go from the 90-100's in summertime to below zero in winter.

Several of my customers have used my painter to do their vinyl siding homes. No issues either.

Prep is key in both situations, and I also highly recommend adding the bonding agent as was mentioned. And stay away from dark colors on vinyl....

·
Painting & Remodeling
816 Posts
Could have been a color that isn't vinyl safe. Some deep colors will do that, they absorb to much heat and cause it to severely buckle.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-contractors/vinyl-select

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/arc...technology/sw-art-pro-vinylsafecolortech.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
The color LRV- light reflectance value recommendation for vinyl (molding, siding, windows) is 55 or over. LRV ranges from 0 (black) to 99 (pure white). 55+ would include pastel colors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts