Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting tips from the local newspaper:
"To stop white paint from yellowing over time, add five or six drops of black paint. Believe it or not, it makes no difference in the color, except the mixture stays white."

Never heard of this one before, I question the whole idea and especially adding black "paint"; should that have read black tint?

"To create perfect edges quickly, slip your hand inside a plastic bag and grasp the paint-soaked roller handle cage so it extends about one inch past the roller knob end. Then you'll be able to roll close to edges to hide and telltale brushstroke messes."

LOL.......well what about the mess from the roller sleeve???

Brenda

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Brenda said:
"To stop white paint from yellowing over time, add five or six drops of black paint. Believe it or not, it makes no difference in the color, except the mixture stays white."

Never heard of this one before, I question the whole idea and especially adding black "paint"; should that have read black tint?

Brenda

Yeah, I never heard of such a thing, either, - - I'd love to hear the logic behind that one.

But I wouldn't think it should have read 'black tint', - - wouldn't black tint blacken white paint before black paint itself??

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Brenda said:
"To create perfect edges quickly, slip your hand inside a plastic bag and grasp the paint-soaked roller handle cage so it extends about one inch past the roller knob end. Then you'll be able to roll close to edges to hide and telltale brushstroke messes."

Brenda

Yeah, and this one seems to be just a bad joke, at best.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Yeah, actually, it seems like the end of the pad would make even more of a mess then the end of the roller if it were to hit accidently, - - and it wouldn't change your odds any, - - I question whether the writer ever realized the roller is 'ambidextrous'!! :cheesygri

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Brenda said:

Brenda
Brenda,
We actually have the stores add 4/48ths of black to all our whites. The whites are higher hiding, and more reflective. As to adding to stop the yellowing, yellowing in petrolium based products will still continue where natural light is lacking.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
GPI said:
Brenda,
We actually have the stores add 4/48ths of black to all our whites. The whites are higher hiding, and more reflective. As to adding to stop the yellowing, yellowing in petrolium based products will still continue where natural light is lacking.

Same here. I have had reps from Mautz, Sherwinn Williams and Hallman Lindsay tell me to add black 'tint' to my whites and we do it everytime. I have also asked each of them what the logic behind it is... none of them know. I have my own theory, both are conspiricies.

1. turns any white into a "custom Ccolor" making it impossible to return unused quantity.
2. Don't they charge for tinting?

I don't know whether it is my brain playing tricks on me or what, but it does seem to hide better and cover better overall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
re painting tips

Hi,
New to this, just logged in from uk.
Talking about colour, did you know that when clour matching, mixing if you paint a sample on one side of a piece of glass, science slide is ideal, then look at it from the other side it will give you the 'dry' shade.
They used this technique years ago in lino flooring factories during a run as they had no time to ponder, this is great for getting the client to decide with more conviction, i.e elimenating the 'oh I did'n t think it would dry...'

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
mastercraftdec said:
Hi,
New to this, just logged in from uk.
Talking about colour, did you know that when clour matching, mixing if you paint a sample on one side of a piece of glass, science slide is ideal, then look at it from the other side it will give you the 'dry' shade.
They used this technique years ago in lino flooring factories during a run as they had no time to ponder, this is great for getting the client to decide with more conviction, i.e elimenating the 'oh I did'n t think it would dry...'

Hey nice tip!
And welcome to the site.

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Tom R said:
That's interesting, GPI, - - but I'm dying to know the logic (science) behind it. Do you know??
Tom,
The whites cover better (hiding qualities) and reflective qualities are noticably different.
Back when we used to tint our own P&L paints, we would add 4/48ths of black and 6 48ths of white for super one coat white.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
GPI said:
Tom,
The whites cover better (hiding qualities) and reflective qualities are noticably different.
Back when we used to tint our own P&L paints, we would add 4/48ths of black and 6 48ths of white for super one coat white.
Thanks, GPI, - - I believe you, - - still dying to know some 'science'.

So far, - - Humble's 'conspiracy theory' has yet to be dis-proven!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The paper was the Sunday edition of The Virginia Pilot.
I live on the Va./NC line.

Why do you ask? :confused:
Brenda

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GPI said:
Tom,
GPI,
Did you use this process with oils or latex or both?
I intend on trying this at least once.
Brenda

·
Registered
79 Posts
just wanted to go online and read it myself,that's all.

thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are welcome PPMC.
I asked my paint rep today about the black tint in white paint, he said that the paint has a blue cast to the trained eye and that it helped with hiding.
The blue cast kind of turns me off.
Brenda

1 - 20 of 21 Posts