Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a documentary on Discovery last night called Hot Planet.

One suggestion they had to combat global warming is to paint your roof white to simulate the reflective quality of the polar ice caps.

I would certainly consider this for my home.

I don't know if this is for Painters or Roofers but, what kind of paint works?

Is anyone doing this?
I haven't noticed any around here but then when I ride around I'm always on the lookout for chimneys that need repointing!! :shifty: Not roofing color.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have only ever seen a flat roof that is white. In fact I would say about half if not more of the new flat roofs I see going on are white. I have also seen flat roofs on row homes in the city that have been coated white and silver.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Speaking of painting shingles, has anyone seen the commercial where this company says you can save your roof by hiring them to coat (paint) your existing shingles with their polymer instead of a traditional re-roof?

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
I spent the MAJORITY of my 2009 Summer on Brooklyn Apartment/Business Roofs! (189 to be exact!)

Aluminum Coating (Silver for those who know not) is the MOST ANNOYING FOOKING ****E out there. Blinding and reflective and SUN-FOOKING-BURNING.

So YES! Paint that Roof NOW!

·
Banned
215 Posts
Soon as they figure out how to make semi-transparent solar cells, every commercial hi rise will use them for their exterior panels taking millions of buildings off the grid ... I ain't worried about changing anything in my home just yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently in Hawaii and there are lots of roofs painted white here... there's a company that even dedicates to doing just that and they stay busy all year round.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,321 Posts
Cool roofs are required on all new commercial buildings in California now and I believe also when re-roofing. By keeping the roof cooler it drops the heat load coming into the building, even with insulation, thus reducing the demand load.

Of course if it's cool outside it might not be such a bad thing to have a darker roof but the cooling loads are what's driving it out here as by reducing that demand which peaks in the summer afternoons it reduces demand on the grid which reduces the need for new power plants.................

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's brilliant if you don't have asphalt. Last I checked, the only coating one can consider for painting a roof is elastomeric, and then last I checked, you can't paint asphalt. Well, ok, you can, but it will look like poo. I have *growl* asbestos tile, which COULD be painted if one could stand on the roof, which one can't. Saving up for spray foam or metal replace...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I looked all over the site, didn't see that they had something to apply over asphalt. It's so crumbly, I can't imagine anything would work for very long. :(

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,453 Posts
What is this asphalt? I see it used on top of pitch and gravel, but when it goes on asphalt shingles it looks hunky dory :huh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts