Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem painting my door. Stripped it down once and painted with primer and enamel. When the temps went down to 30f the paint popped off. I am thinking of using latex because it is soft and flexes. What type if any primer should be used.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,175 Posts
Sounds like you had a surface issue causing poor adhesion.

I've never used Latex on an exterior metal door.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I use water base on metal doors but they were always preprimed never had to prime. I think door manufacturers call for water base. What is popping off paint or primer? What exactly did you use?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Oil specially formulated for steel, it Hass to has some Elasticity to it because the door will expand and contract with the temperatures

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I will second the Procryl primer, it’s an excellent metal primer, for a residential door I would finish with exterior latex paint such as Duration.
Not sure if Precat epoxy can be used out doors, I would double check that, most epoxies can not stand direct sunlight.
As you have had issues I would strip door again, lightly sand, and wash / degrease with tsp as you may have in underlying contamination issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also agree with Pro-Cryl Primer being an excellent metal primer but I prefer using KILZ Adhesion Latex Primer for steel doors since it bonds better with metal surfaces.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
I also agree with Pro-Cryl Primer being an excellent metal primer but I prefer using KILZ Adhesion Latex Primer for steel doors since it bonds better with metal surfaces.
It's your opinion that Kilz Adhesion bonds better to metal than Pro-Cryl. It's not fact though. Not by a long shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts