Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Door and window trim, interior.

The customer asked me if there was a special treatment you have to do to oak so the grain won't show through after it is painted, they have heard of this before. I have never heard of this.

I thought that with proper prep and prime / two coats of a good thick paint the grain would be "filled in."

What do you think is there anything special I need to do to this wood before painting it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Humble Abode said:
I thought that with proper prep and prime / two coats of a good thick paint the grain would be "filled in."
I guess it depends on how deep the grain is, but I would think a couple of coats of a high-quality paint that flows and levels nicely should do the trick.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure before I went and did something I would have to fix later. Thanks guys.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another question

Right now the wood has a high closs lacquer on it and they are stained. What do I have to do to prepare the wood for that BM primer you specified PWG?

I was thinking a good chemical deglosser would do the trick?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pardon me for speaking without being asked, Humble Abode.

I'm unsure, but I think the deglosser in this case might not be necessary, if your purpose of using it is for (better) adhesion. For oil-based primer would stick to any oil-based products. Personally, unless when I use latex primer, I don't usually use deglosser or sand for adhesion purposes.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AAPaint said:
You're more than welcome to speak painter77, and you offer up good advice. Fear not, just jump in and add your input....we all appreciate extra advice, it only makes this place better. :Thumbs:

Agreed.

Thanks for the input. If I can put that Alkyd primer right over the exsiting finish and still get good adhesion, so much the better. We use latex for the most part, so my experience with oil is somewhat limited.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ProWallGuy said:
I've never personally thought very highly of chemical deglossers, just don't provide much tooth IMO. I would most likely hit this with a medium sanding sponge, just to be sure. Doesn't take long to do, and makes me feel much better.

Yea we use 220 on anything even slightly glossy in addition to TSP. It just makes more sense to me to rough up the surface before any coatings are applied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts