Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Painting Scams

7K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Tom Rohland 
#1 ·
Any of you painters out there running into potential customers, etc. who complain about so called "scams" being run by painters?

I know it happens but has been swept under the rug in the past.

Recentley, I met a potential customer complaining about the last painter she hired. She stated that he specified premium paint for her job. Half way thru the job her husband busted the painter "in his van" pouring inferior paint into an empty premium paint can.

OOPS! You're BUSTED!

Tom Rohland
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

Self appointed Paint Police

#3 ·
The old 'bait and switch', happens everywhere all of the time. Around here the most popular is roofers using cheaper shingles and driveway sealers cutting the product with diesel fuel.

#4 ·
I run into potential customers who seem to have trust issues. I just don't understand the bait and switch, if you bid right there should be plenty of margin. My guess is they are not only scammers but they don't know how to bid a job. Customers are probally to blame as well. My prices are far from outrageous and then I lose jobs to someone who halves my bid, they can't be using good materials or good labor to do houses around 50 cents a foot.

#5 ·
Trey said:
I run into potential customers who seem to have trust issues. I just don't understand the bait and switch, if you bid right there should be plenty of margin. My guess is they are not only scammers but they don't know how to bid a job. Customers are probally to blame as well. My prices are far from outrageous and then I lose jobs to someone who halves my bid, they can't be using good materials or good labor to do houses around 50 cents a foot.
I have ran into a string of these in the past month. I don't bid cheap, but I do bid competively. A bid that allows me to use premium matierials and the time to do the job the right way. Then a low baller comes along and crushes my bid. My outlook on it is that if the owners are too stupid to recognize a low baller when they see one then the deserve what they get. But I for one am not going to give my work away

#6 ·
Peace

My outlook on it is that if the owners are too stupid to recognize a low baller when they see one then the deserve what they get.
It's usually not the case in my area. The average customer just sees the low baller coming in as a Godsend to save them money.

The customer that deserves the true blame is the guy sitting in the 350k house, looking to save 800.00 dollors on a job. Then when he gets the shaft, he refuses to accept responsibility, he just tells everyone that all painters are scam artists.

Peace

#9 ·
How does the painter switching paint "almost" happen? You catch the guy delivering cheap paint to your house or something?

Please forgive me if this sounds...well, however it sounds. What I'm wondering is: Why hire someone to paint your house (assuming they are a professional painter) if you know all the ins and outs to painting well enough to start your own paint company?

I spent years learning this trade from professionals, it didn't happen over-night. I've seen alot of hacks in my time in this trade, including the all famous "30 year" drunk that calls himself a painter, but that's another story. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's great you are running your own business.......but I guess what I mean is, unless you are quite experienced to begin with, how does catching one hack in a lie turn you into a paint contractor?

Boy, I know that sounds mean....but don't take it that way. Like I said, I've seen alot of hacks...including folks that just figured they could paint as good as the next guy and started a business. Regardless of the reasoning, a hack is a hack. MOST important point, I'm NOT calling you a hack!! It's just the fact that the statement "I got mad and started my own little business" didn't sound right to me for someone who "almost" had a similar problem. Anyone get what I'm saying?.......I know there are bound to be one or two others who have the same questions I do. I mean, why is it that just anyone thinks they can paint? I deal with homeowners all the time that say "well, I was gonna do it myself" like I should give them a cheaper price because they thought THEY could do it just as good.......pff!

#13 ·
Speaking of scams......just found this post in the business forum. http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=3422

I knew I smelled something fishy....Why you selling your "painting" site so quickly?

BTW, that chick got more paint on her face than on the wall. If she worked for me I'd charge her for eating the frickin paint. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Jesus - you guys take the people appart rather quick -
"almost" - i noticed the guys having the same color paint with them and i brought it to their attention.

I dont drink - not even socially.

I dont pretend to be a painter - running a business does not require to be skilled - but to understand what needs to be done.

When i got my home - over 2 1/2 years ago - i did not imagine I would get interested in business such as painting - but I understood quickly that its not a science to run such operation [however time consuming] - and its rather profitable.

More power to you those who can paint well - i cannot - and likely will never get good at it - :)

#18 ·
Scott,

If you don't mind I have a few suggestions:

Want to improve the picture on your site?

Promote Professionalism. Where "WHITES.

Cover the entire floor with the drop.

Paint the entire wall.

Oh and remove the hand from your knee.

Thanks,

Tom Rohland, Jr.
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

#20 ·
Peace all..

I deal with homeowners all the time that say "well, I was gonna do it myself" like I should give them a cheaper price because they thought THEY could do it just as good.......pff!
Oh I love hearing this one.
For me it's; "I keep bugging my husband to do it, but he's working overtime all summer. So I Guess we have to hire a painter for what we can do ourselves."
Heard this just last week.

And then once I gave her the bid she said, "Did I mention we were thinking of doing this ourselves?"

And I said, "Did I mention that I am a professional painter? You are more than welcome to cover your dark beige walls to white as you requested :rolleyes: , and to purchase your own paint without my 30% discount. If everyone was already planning to do it themselves, their wouldn't be 86 painting contractors in the yellow pages. Have a nice day."

Sad to say, didn't get the job. Guess I should learn to sweet talk the dumbfounded a little better.

Peace

#21 ·
My best and worse story about people painting themselves is this.

A couple bought an older home and had it completely remodeled, I painted the exterior and everything was fine. Then the GC asked me to just bid priming the inside well I did and we primed the whole interior. Months later I asked the GC what happened with the project. He told me they were painting it themselves and were nowhere near done. Another few weeks pass and he told me that the Mrs. fell off a step ladder and broke her ankle. I couldn't believe it so I asked him if I could go there and get the job myself, he had no problem with this. I went and the house was nowhere near done, and the work was subpar at best so my bid ended up higher than originaly because I was going to redo what they did. Well they were angry and thought I was a rip off artist. Its been a few years, I wonder if they finished yet.

#22 · (Edited)

Tom Rohland said:
Want to improve the picture on your site?
Promote Professionalism
Tom, I think you miss the point. IMO Scott's not interested in promoting a product or service - he's interested in transferring wealth (the customer's). He's what used to be called a 'hustler' (no criminal inferrences intended). I think the image is meant to be a looking glass for young, active, shack-up couples (no wedding rings in sight) with disposable income to gaze into and see themselves. Once they've identified with the image, and realized they could be out hiking, biking, skiing, etc. instead of stuck at home arguing about colors, they call the painter. After all, they're probably not inclined to care all that much about how good of a paint job is done, just that the color is on the wall.

Tom Rohland said:
Where "WHITES.Cover the entire floor with the drop.
"Where whites cover the entire floor with a drop" really had me searching the image trying to find a clue to what that meant. Duh! Stupid me. If they can afford to wear $40 jeans to paint in they can afford to call Scott.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.