Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint one small wall with a red semi gloss in my kitchen. It currently has white semi gloss. Can I do this without any primer or anything?
( I haven't done any painting myself in years)
Kathy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kitchen walls are sometimes problem areas. If you are going on top of an acrylic/latex with an acrylic/latex you can do without the primer if your walls are absolutely clean of grease, dust, etc. It’s always good to sand it like Mr. Grumpy said.

HOWEVER, if you using a red or wine color (seems to be poplar these days) that is using a deep or accent base you will be doing yourself a favor to use a primer tinted to a medium grey. It will take away any doubt as to whether primer is needed and it will help the red cover a lot better, probably in two coats.

I like the reds from Sonoma County, California… wine that is. :D

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Kitchen areas are tough due to cooking grease/oil. Sanding tends to move it around but not remove all of it. I wipe down the walls (lightly) with denatured alcohol and prime with a shellac or alcohol based primer, this will remove and lock up any errant oils and prevent 'fisheye'. Follow up with the paint of your choice, avoid flats as they are more difficult to clean. If you cook the way that I do, some walls will get cleaned a lot! ;-)

·
Registered
686 Posts
my advise would be to see if you are going over latex first. Next if so then coat it with a dark red flat, for good coverage, and then go over it with an eggshell, not a semi, you will find semi way too shiney, in fact your red will likely be too dang bright in my experience that is the case. Choose instead of semi , a higher quality one eggshell or pearl with better resin base, an enamel. Unless of course you are trying for that chinese laquered look .. Buying a tinted primer stinks because they tint it too weak, so I buy mistints that are close picks, it's good for the enviroment!! Standard switch from white semi to wild red is still four coats. Enjoy !!:laughing:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why grey?

What's reasoning behind painting way grey? I'll will try it next time. I think tinted primer way to go. Because of sheen on semi gloss you have to sand 1st , using a primer which has glue in it will make for better adhesion all around.

·
Commercial Contractor
2,027 Posts
What's reasoning behind painting way grey? I'll will try it next time.
Darker primer/base such as gray allows for better coverage and less coats of darker finish colors like red.

·
Brush Bender
86 Posts
What's reasoning behind painting way grey? I'll will try it next time. I think tinted primer way to go. Because of sheen on semi gloss you have to sand 1st , using a primer which has glue in it will make for better adhesion all around.
I have found that a brown primer as opposed to grey gives me way better coverage when painting reds or painting over red. I can't remember where I heard that but it has always worked for me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cost of one coat of painting

I need you help

i will participate in a bid painting 700'000 and i want to be sure that the cost of one coat is 50 cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes is 500'000 sqf and they one just one price for one coat then the take the decision to were they put two coats or more that way is important the price for one coat

regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
best option is to visit your local paint stores and ask for a "red base" paint, that way you only have to put a max of two coats on. this type of paint will generally cost a little more but will save you time and money. other option is to use a grey primer and then paint it red, this option is more expensive because you have to pay for primer and paint. prob would still have to apply 3+ coats of finish and would still not look as good as the first option. + all necessary prep work.

Have local paint store tint primer to same red color, sand prime and paint.:thumbup:
some friendly advice you shouldnt give advice if you dont truly know. this can be costly to the people you give it to. priming with a red is pointless as the white would bleed thru and you would end up with multiple coats

1 - 17 of 17 Posts