Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience painting Durock Next Gen used as exterior cladding? If yes, what products did you use? How has it held up? My first thought is masonry paint. There are many paint datasheets listing cement board as a suitable surface, but I'm not sure if they're referring to fiber cement board, like HardiPlank, which is a different animal. I know it exists. I've seen it on 3 homes, modern contemporary style. I've looked at a wall cut open on one of those homes and there is no stucco or mortar type finish between the Durock and outside surface. I have a project on a modern contemporary home requesting this type of exterior.

I can't get a hold of anyone directly at USG. I've contacted three Durock distributors who admittedly dont know much about this method. Two had no idea you could use Durock as exterior cladding. One said you had to apply a base coat like Parex 121, imbed fiberglass mesh, then acrylic finish smoothed to preference.

I know I'm going to get flamed by old-timers who have never experienced it, but it has been done. You'll see pictures of many homes finished this way online. And no, this is not another form if EIFS.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
What makes you think it's Durock on those homes? That sounds nuts. You must be thinking about some other product. I hope so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,

It sounds nuts because we traditionally think of Durock as a backer board. But Durock Next Gen can also be used as exterior cladding. Before they came out with "Next Gen", there was a separate Durock for exterior use. Now, the same product and be used for either interior or exterior.

Check the specs on their site or simply google "Durock exterior" you'll find many references to it as suitable for exterior applications. Do some more searching and you'll be surprised how often it's used in commercial structures and increasingly poplular in residental structures.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Mark,

It sounds nuts because we traditionally think of Durock as a backer board. But Durock Next Gen can also be used as exterior cladding. Before they came out with "Next Gen", there was a separate Durock for exterior use. Now, the same product and be used for either interior or exterior.

Check the specs on their site or simply google "Durock exterior" you'll find many references to it as suitable for exterior applications. Do some more searching and you'll be surprised how often it's used in commercial structures and increasingly poplular in residental structures.
I think this was a trick. I found nothing on their site about using that product the way you mentioned. How about some links?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
For interior, if you don't get there before the painters, a lot of times the paint crews will spray that too. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this was a trick. I found nothing on their site about using that product the way you mentioned. How about some links?
Didn't start this thread to prove Durock is OK for exterior, but...

"It is also suitable for exterior applications, including fences, mobile home skirting, agricultural buildings, garage wainscoting, and exterior finishes." "DUROCK® cement board Next Gen is a water-durable, mold-resistant panel for use under tile and other finishes in a variety of interior and exterior applications." - from http://www.usg.com/durock-cement-board.html

Even the older Durock references exterior direct finishes - http://www.usg.com/rc/data-submittal-sheets/panels/durock/durock-cement-board-submittal-CB399.pdf

Here's Durock in exterior use back in the 1980's -http://www.awci.org/cd/pdfs/8710_d.pdf

There are all kinds of references to direct applied exterior finishes in USG's literature, but I can't find any that specify what that direct finish is.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Didn't start this thread to prove Durock is OK for exterior, but...

"It is also suitable for exterior applications, including fences, mobile home skirting, agricultural buildings, garage wainscoting, and exterior finishes." "DUROCK® cement board Next Gen is a water-durable, mold-resistant panel for use under tile and other finishes in a variety of interior and exterior applications." - from http://www.usg.com/durock-cement-board.html

Even the older Durock references exterior direct finishes - http://www.usg.com/rc/data-submittal-sheets/panels/durock/durock-cement-board-submittal-CB399.pdf

Here's Durock in exterior use back in the 1980's -http://www.awci.org/cd/pdfs/8710_d.pdf

There are all kinds of references to direct applied exterior finishes in USG's literature, but I can't find any that specify what that direct finish is.
I'm not doubting you Moo. :no:
But all I'm seeing in those links is that the Durock Next Gen is to be used as a substrate and not the finish.

Could you get a pic of one of the homes that has it as the only finish?

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Thanks for the links. It seems you weren't b.s.-ing after all.

This is about their "Durock Exterior Wall System", which is basically a method to sell/use "exterior durock" as an outside substrate. It's durock installed a certain way (exterior tape, modified thinset, etc.....) for finishes such as tile, stone aggregate, thin brick veneers, etc. Those kind of finishes. Paint is not what they are talking about.

Also, they seemed to be plugging the idea of having panels pre-fabricated with the finish and then delivered/installed. Probably an idea that didn't take off for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I've looked at a lot commercial building plans and can say with 100% confidence that I've never seen Durock as the finished product.

A substrate? Absolutely. Which is really what your links are telling you.

"There are all kinds of references to direct applied exterior finishes in USG's literature, but I can't find any that specify what that direct finish is."

Direct applied means they are directly applying the finish to the Durock. The finish is thin brick, tile, stone veneer, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on this Durock thing

I eventually found out that there are "direct" finishes for Durock. Unfortunately, they're not really direct. It's an entire system, which requires several steps. You may as well go with traditional stucco. In the end, I used Hardiepanel smooth panels. We were originally going to texture it with a slight orange peel, but decided to leave it smooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts