Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an older kitchen where the homeowner wants an estimate for painting the kitchen cabinets a shade of white. They are currently a light oak shade in pretty good shape. They will require sanding, priming and two finish coats. Trying to get a handle on how other painters price them out. Do most of you price them by sq ft or by how long you think it will take from experience?

We're looking at the uppers and lowers, fridge face, island base cabinets, cabinet doors - both sides, drawer face, frames. Just trying to get an idea of how others price it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I never price painting on sq. ft. How long have you been painting? You should have some idea how long it will take you. I would figure time on each step per cabinet or piece then add materials. Then you have to figure in are there any difficulty factors to figure in, such as is the kitchen going to be in use during this project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Painting kitchen cabinets

Thanks for the response. I've been doing this a long time. I already have my pricing done. I'm just trying to get a feel for how other contractors do it. I also never price by sq ft.

I'm always interested to see how other contractors do it. You never know, someone might have a better way of doing it that I could learn from. I've seen some real crazy ways of pricing things and I don't see how so many of these contractors make any money at all pricing things the way they do.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm looking at an older kitchen where the homeowner wants an estimate for painting the kitchen cabinets a shade of white. They are currently a light oak shade in pretty good shape. They will require sanding, priming and two finish coats. Trying to get a handle on how other painters price them out. Do most of you price them by sq ft or by how long you think it will take from experience?

We're looking at the uppers and lowers, fridge face, island base cabinets, cabinet doors - both sides, drawer face, frames. Just trying to get an idea of how others price it out. Thanks.
What kind of finish quality? This may seem obvious but people can have different ideas so I usually take samples because the quality completely controls the time required.

Always request isolation to save time on prep. People usually don't mind this for a few days since it means less money and faster completion.

I usually give two prices and explain the finish quality difference. Charging by the square foot is more lucrative but turns people off when they realize they could have found a much better deal.

After estimating for time I will give a slightly inflated price and tell the clients it will be reduced pending no surprises. On one job the clients ordered new hardware which included 54 hinges. They were not the correct type so I had to break out the dremel and literally retrofit the hinges. At first they balked at the extra labor but I pointed out they are the ones who purchased the wrong hardware.

Regarding fumes, I run one or two vacuum lines outside through windows and this dissipates the odor quite well. just a suggestion.

good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Are you taking down all doors and removing all hardware yhen reinstalling? Often doors will no longer fit and will need to be planed or otherwise adjusted. Total pita.
I always remove the hardware regardless if new ones are being installed and sometimes it does take some adjustment for the reinstallation but still much faster than covering the hardware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts