Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After i prime and paint finished sheetrock i can still see where the mud areas are when i use darker paints. How do you guys elimate this?

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Whats happening is called "flashing" its more pronounced in higher sheens and darker colors....you have both working against you :rolleyes:

When you prime new drywall, use at least a 3/4" nap roller to build stipple on the surface, this will help hide the joints/mud on your finish coat.

Finish coat - use a 1/2" nap and switch to a flat/matte finish, problem solved

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What kind of primer did you use? How many top coats of Semi- have you used? IMO it takes at least 2 coats of the topcoat for it to look right, some colors it will be three.
Of course if you used a poor primer then this will affect your problem as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Semi on the walls is a great way to highlight even the smallest imperfection. I've seen even top quality drywall work look just average or even a bit below with SG on top of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the in-put! I will try NCPaint's idea on the nap sizes, and by the way, I was using a 3/8 nap for the primer as well. Sometime customers will not change the mind about going to a flat instead of the semi.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the in-put! I will try NCPaint's idea on the nap sizes, and by the way, I was using a 3/8 nap for the primer as well. Sometime customers will not change the mind about going to a flat instead of the semi.
Are they desiring a washable surface? They have a washable paint at SW, crap I just used it and I forget what it's called. It's something like a matte finish I believe. Not as shiny as semi but you still have to have nice walls to put it over.

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Thats something to keep in mind for next time. As stated semi's highlight every flaw, as do darker colors, so you have both working against you here. I always try to talk people out of high sheens on walls, but some are just set in their ways and theres nothing you can do. :rolleyes:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
After i prime and paint finished sheetrock i can still see where the mud areas are when i use darker paints. How do you guys elimate this?
That is why a level 5 drywall finish is desirable, yet there aren't many people who know what it is, let alone capable of doing it.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
The best option is to Hire a painter
I just realized you are a painting contractor!:eek:
And to think I spent all that time chatting with you last night....

....I feel so dirty.....
:laughing:

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Dirty is good.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts