Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am about to install new oak posts, railings and balusters inside the house,i was wondering what the steps are for painting them in latex?
Wood conditioner, primer,paint.What im am worried about is the grain raise.Is there a difference in staining or painting regarding grain raise?
thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best would be prime oil sand reprime oil sand two coats finish. Glossy smooth and no problems with grain raise or tannin pull.
ok, so prime with oil based primer correct? Can i then use latex or does it have to be oil based paint again. thank you

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
You can use either latex or oil for the finish coats but the oil base primer will fight the tannin stains that will bleed through any water based primer; especially the ones that say they seal wood!

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
painting oak should be a crime
Depends. If it is not FAS, then I don't see an issue. If it's Red Oak, I still don't see an issue. I paint Hard Maple all the time. I wouldn't paint oak just for the porous wood species. Maple, Birch, and I agree...Poplar would have been a much better choice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paint grade newl posts were not available therefore i had to choose oak, if they were available i would have preferred to not spend the extra money on oak thanks

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We just did this not too long ago, installed and painted new oak treads and painted the existing oak railings. Prime, sand, 2 coats of oil based porch and floor (Ben moore). Wanted it to lay down like glass and be very durable since it was stairs. Went to the job last week and everything still looks great (about 8 months or so).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts