Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always rolled and would like to spray but im wondering do the sprayers have any overspray or alot of mist spray that would cause alot of prep work masking and covering trim and stuff, or do they have good nozzels that have a direct spray so i dont have alot of prep work or clean up. im trying to limit my time and reduce the work load on my employees for next summer, we work for a realestate management firm with alot of rentals and in these days i need to do more with less to improve my bottom line.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
This has been discussed here quite a bit. It really really depends on the lay out of the apartment, the quality expected, number of colors etc. Some guys come on here and say I can roll a 1 color 1 coat 2 bedroom apartment in 2 hours. What they don't say is they have three guys.

I think for your typical two bedroom one bath 8 foot no popcorn ceiling apartment with no overspray or drips or other bs one coat one color your looking at 6-8 hours. If you want to blow overspray everywhere, paint every hinge, not remove any switch covers, wipe off paint instead of actually masking you could probably get it down to four hours.

If your going to do the job right and it's just walls and ceilings, no trim, I think your better off brush and roll. I did a three color (ceiling, trim, wall), vaulted ceiling two bedroom, no cabinet job a couple months back where I masked all hinges on the doors etc, spray ceilings and trim and brush and roll walls. It was about a day and half hours.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
And don't forget about the sprayer cost. I think it would be safe to add 50.00 in cost to every job minimum that you use a pump on. So many wear parts. Tip, needle, throat seal liquid, strainer, inlet outlet, repack kit, guards. There are so many pieces to keep track of and clean that you WILL lose one here, brick one up with paint there. Especially when you're running around like a madman trying to paint enough apartments to actually make a living. (Granted you're doing this for a management company). So what would you rather have? A ten dollar an hour employee who can complete 60% of the work for you brush and roll wise or $50.00 averaged out repair, maintenance operation cost on your sprayer per apartment painted and you do all the work. Don't forget 12-15$ in paper and tape per apartment. If you're actually going to mask that is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you are about to get screwed.. I hope you like working for peanuts.. as was said to me by one of many douche bags.. "cheap is the name of the game, if you can paint em cheap.. you are our man" :effyoudouchebag:

i have actually been painting for them for a year now and average $30 to $40/hour its a flat rate bid 3 bedroom walls ceiling and trim 8 to 10 hours and a 2 bedroom in 6 to 8 hours... i dont think thats bad wages these days especially

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
If you need to do more with less forget about the sprayer. Implement an employee motivational program. My old man works for a call center. They FIRE the bottom %10 of employees EVERY month. Maybe turn over your crew a little. You could hire temps and just let everyone know its sink or swim. "I just brought on Tim here. If he's better than you you're gone."

1,183 Posts
i have actually been painting for them for a year now and average $30 to $40/hour its a flat rate bid 3 bedroom walls ceiling and trim 8 to 10 hours and a 2 bedroom in 6 to 8 hours... i dont think thats bad wages these days especially
8-10 hrs for a 3 bedroom how many doors . windows etc......One guy??

That includes your setup, clean up, masking dropping off etc...

Wow!!!! Dont take this the wrong way but Ive never seen a 3 bed apt I would paint for $300-400 bucks even today.....Thats cheap.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts