Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a gig coming up for a theatre room. They want all the duct covers and switch plates painted. I've brushed them in the past but I hated the look. Tried whizzing but also didn't really like the look.
Supposing I don't own a sprayer(I don't own a sprayer), what are some other techniques I can use?

I have some wiggle room on the paint color. They asked me to select a black for them. Is there a good Rusto black that will match a good flat black Ben Moore paint? Any combo that you guys use that's tried and true? This is a referral and the scouting report is that the guy is pretty particular. I would like this to be a home run as it's a giant mansion on a street with other giant mansions. hah

Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Flat black spray bomb?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Just the covers?

Remove, clean, take outside and spray can em.

I had a customer insist on doing that. He said "just paint over them". I jokingly replied that was against my religion. He still insisted, so i bought steel covers and painted them. Oddly enough, as he was showing off the progress to a G.C. he uses alot, that's what he kept pointing out. Next thing ya know, I do a decent amount if work for that G.C.... crazy huh?

DON'T PAINT PLASTIC COVERS!!! It just won't stick. This is a "detail" job, so go that extra mile.

·
12,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man. I billed accordingly as I can tell this is going to end up eating a couple extra hours taking them off, setting up a spray station outside, then reinstalling.

I hear you on the plastic covers not sticking. Like I said, last job I did they insisted on me painting all the covers AND the switches themselves. You flick them on and off once and the paint is rubbing off. Looked awful to me, but they were happy.
I will heed the advice and pick up some metal switch covers if possible.

·
1,745 Posts
....I hear you on the plastic covers not sticking. Like I said, last job I did they insisted on me painting all the covers AND the switches themselves. You flick them on and off once and the paint is rubbing off...
I give the plastic ones a rub over with a fine grit sandpaper to give the paint something to grab. Again, not the favorite thing. Lasts a little longer than without sanding.

Next time I have to do this I'm going to try the metal route as well.

·
12,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The metal ones stick nice. My apartment has metal covers and I painted a couple of them to match the trim. No issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Remove, clean, take outside and spray can em.
That part is important. Also let both the wall and the plate dry thoroughly before putting them back up.

If a switch ever needs to be changed or a sparky needs to access the box, it will avoid the score marks we always have to leave otherwise.:thumbsup:

·
12,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case anyone needs to know for the future, Ben Moore Really Really Black Regal Flat is a pretty good match with Rusto Flat Black Enamel.

Sprayed the covers at home in my bathtub. Classy, I know. Fit them back up on the ceiling and they matched about as well as I could have hoped for.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,806 Posts
DON'T PAINT PLASTIC COVERS!!! It just won't stick. This is a "detail" job, so go that extra mile.

Actually, we've had good luck painting the platic ones. The key is, to scuff them, then use the fusion paint, even if it's not the exact color you're trying to get to. Give them a second coat with the final color.

That cabin we done last year, all the outlet covers were painted to match the faux painting we done on the carr siding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts