Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the best way to paint fibercement board siding?

What way is the fastest?
What way looks best?

I am planning on using a small roller and brushes but I was wondering if it would be possible to us an air sprayer or if anyone had any tips on painting it in general.

Thanks

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Why not just spray it? You can brush and roll, but it'll look better if sprayed properly, and you'll finish it in 1/3 the time. Doesn't really matter which way you go with that stuff.

I dunno about a air sprayer....mine is airless. Either way, I still say spray it if you want to be profitable and your contract does not specify otherwise.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I brush and roll. Uses less paint, materials and you can do it anyday that it's not raining. Breeze is nearly always a factor here and painting the neighbors house or car creates a losing proposition. Fortunately, on my first and last spray job, I only painted my own car parked 75' away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the best techinque to use when spraying fibercement board?

What tip, how to mask, pressure for SW Super Paint, etc...

Thanks!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Pressure will always vary. Set it just high enough that all the paint atomizes and you don't get "fingering"....use a tip that will give you a fan about the size of each board of lap siding. A 213 gives a fan of 6" which is about perfect. Paint from one end of the board to the other without stoping...if you stop, or spray over an area you've allready done, you can cause it to flash. Or use a 517 tip and spray two boards at a time, but just keep a continuous run from one end to the other.....this your first time spraying or something? If so, I wouldn't practice on someone's new siding..Good luck! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
AAPaint said:
.....this your first time spraying or something? If so, I wouldn't practice on someone's new siding..Good luck! :Thumbs:
Actually have sprayed interior grade finishes on cabinets, furniture and the like, basically low volume deliveries. The exterior spraying is new to me, higher pressure and hence the questions, and thanks for the advice! :Thumbs:

One other question has to do with underlaps or rather how to get the underside of the lap and still keep a wet edge on flash in the middle of the face. Thanks again, oh and for the record this first adventure is on a friends place who is willing to take the risk for my learning!! ;)

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I knew it didn't sound right when I said it earlier. On spray tip size. The first number indicates the size of the fan it will spray when multiplied by two. The second two digits are the orifice size on the tip i.e. a 517 has a 10" fan and a .017" orifice size. I always jumble up which way it goes, I should have sat and thought about it a minute before posting ^ that! :rolleyes:

For the underlaps, if you spray with a large enough fan, and SLIGHTLY upward you can paint the under edge of the board above the one you are shooting the face of. If you turn upwards too much, you'll have tracks or runs where the bottom of the fan is too close.

Spraying is not for everybody. I've been spraying exteriors for years and have yet to cause any damage. Planning and asking neighbors to move cars can be helpful, heh! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the advice and the guidance, it is amazing how much quicker it is to spray and back brush. I think I spent more time with moving ladders than painting!

One question I have is how to determine what spread rate you are at. I have finished the first coat, and I am not nearly at 1/2 of the paint used, and I would expect the second coat to be lighter.

FYI I am using a Sherwin Williams Pro Force 33 with a G10 gun and 517 tip, back brusing with a 3 1/2 angled trim. Paint is Super Paint Satin.

·
Registered
92 Posts
dzd9fy said:
Thanks for the advice and the guidance, it is amazing how much quicker it is to spray and back brush. I think I spent more time with moving ladders than painting!

One question I have is how to determine what spread rate you are at. I have finished the first coat, and I am not nearly at 1/2 of the paint used, and I would expect the second coat to be lighter.

FYI I am using a Sherwin Williams Pro Force 33 with a G10 gun and 517 tip, back brusing with a 3 1/2 angled trim. Paint is Super Paint Satin.
Why bother spraying if your going to backbrush it all? Your set-up is good. I use 517's on just about all exterior work. A 213 is way small. The second coat will use far less materials. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts