Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in a quote on painting a new entry door installed by HD. It is 9 lites plus a fan. specs. call for oil based primer and finish (2 coats), both sides.
I'm coming up with a $500.00 figure, It just seems high to me. Wondering what the pro's thought.
BTW, I can pull the weatherstrips but the door has to stay locked.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I'm putting in a quote on painting a new entry door installed by HD. It is 9 lites plus a fan. specs. call for oil based primer and finish (2 coats), both sides.
I'm coming up with a $500.00 figure, It just seems high to me. Wondering what the pro's thought.
BTW, I can pull the weatherstrips but the door has to stay locked.
Just did a similar door.Was a three step process. Primed the ext,int in 2 hours. Next day prepped, and applied one coat top. Third day applied final. In my bid I tacked on $50 driving time (door was 10 miles from another job). I had six man hours in the door. $330.00 plus my usual 30% matierial markup

The door has to stay locked meaning you cant get in to do the int side until a seperate day? That would cost em :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pro, my base time is $50.00/hr. This is one door (fiberglass) and oil based paint.
Initial trip to look at job.
2nd trip, Remove weather stripping, tape off glass inside and out, clean, scuff, wipe, prime.
3rd trip, scuff and paint. Door is different colors inside and out = 2 cleanups.
4th trip, same as 3rd.
5th trip, pull tape and replace weather stripping.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, picked up the key today. 6 pros told her that they didn't do small jobs and out of the 4-5 handymen she called only one of Bob's 'soup kitchen' guys showed up and scared her. She was more than happy to have someone reputable do the work.
BTW, she pulled one of my cards off of the contractors board at HD.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
WOW thats unheard of. :Thumbs:

I wonder how some guys eat, I get a lot of jobs just for showing up too. As soon as I figure out how to support all my habits by not answering my phone, showing up, or just plain doing any work, I'll be that guy too. ;)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pro, I actually get quite a bit of work from the cards that I keep at 2 HD's and 2 Lowe's. A small job inside of a gated community can create ripples that can go on for years.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remodeled an oceanfront condo 3 yrs. ago and am kind of the 'condo king' out there. I've had 2 tile guys out there non-stop ever since.
I know what you mean about getting waved at, happens all of the time. I even have one customer that goes out of his way to get me more work. A free salesman, how can you beat that?

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Don, picked up the key today. 6 pros told her that they didn't do small jobs and out of the 4-5 handymen she called only one of Bob's 'soup kitchen' guys showed up and scared her. She was more than happy to have someone reputable do the work.
So I take it she didn't balk at the $500+ qoute? Outstanding! Just got my tshirts today, all screen printed. Had two white hats embrodiered with my business name on them.

You should see the way most painters here dress and groom. I wouldn't let them in my home. I'm really trying to project a positive image with my company. Hell, if I just show up ontime clean shaven I have a leg up on 75% of my competition. :Thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts