Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Sorry Spruce, you know I gotta take the road less traveled.

Watch this video, its pretty awesome.

I bet these guys could paint a bull's nose :blink:

http://vimeo.com/8955445

-

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
I've always' used the blue 3M tape, dry brushed to seal tape edge, then rolled or sprayed to make a straight line. I'll try the blending on the next job that has bullnose. Sounds interesting.:detective:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've always' used the blue 3M tape, dry brushed to seal tape edge, then rolled or sprayed to make a straight line. I'll try the blending on the next job that has bullnose. Sounds interesting.:detective:
Please report back if you do, hopefully with some pictures.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Choose the direction of the dominant room/color, drop roll of tape like a plumb line, paint. I've never considered "blending" colors on a bullnose, I like sharp lines and the wow factor expressed by my clients.
Not that it's wrong but crisp lines are the one thing a pro has over a H.O. paint job.
We have had to do this with a number of arches, so the plumb line part doesn't really work. We cobbled together a stack of staggered stir-sticks and taped a pencil to it so we could draw a consistent line around the arch. Then we cut to the line.

The "direction of the dominant color" idea is a good tip and looks better than splitting the bullnose down the middle, IMHO. If the transition is between a more public and private space, for instance, we go around the curve from the public side.

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
We have had to do this with a number of arches, so the plumb line part doesn't really work. We cobbled together a stack of staggered stir-sticks and taped a pencil to it so we could draw a consistent line around the arch. Then we cut to the line.

The "direction of the dominant color" idea is a good tip and looks better than splitting the bullnose down the middle, IMHO. If the transition is between a more public and private space, for instance, we go around the curve from the public side.

Arches are never fun but a great challenge, I freehand and eyeball the tape along the arch. With choosing the dominant color choice I've spent HOURS debating hundreds of options and possible reasons for both directions.
I never involve the client, it tends to muddy the waters and I am after all the color expert hired to do my job.

Turning on Oprah or some Dr. Phil always distracts most of my clients.

:)

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
I would be very interested to see a transition on a bullnose corner. I think I've seen bullnose corners in one home in my entire life, and that was in Wichita. Been in over 200 homes in KC and haven't seen one yet.

you apparently haven't been to Stilwell KS. suburb of KC., south end of Nall rd. 158th to 166th.

the houses look like Olive Garden attacked them...bullnose all day long.

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
As long as it isn't a textured wall any decent painter should be able to free hand them. If not just use frog tape.
freehand?

pics of some of your freehand bullnose skills or gtfo with that "decent painter" yap...

:)

and frogtape, like it for some things but too pricey for bullnose.

EDIT: oops, just realized you are a remodeler and not a painter...just plain gtfo...

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
Wisey I paint you in a corner and not even throw you a sammich, pics. pfft. Is it lunch time in KC? Why are you at work?

smartphone, winmo htc hd2 leo to be exact.

you must be sitting in front of a computer at home on a Wed. afternoon...bummer.

:( <----- you.

$ <----- me!

this post was freehanded.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Freehand?? Yeah right, I tried that in my macho days and it looked like crap. We just did some bullnose patio homes last year and we had to use the blue tape. Our drywallers were just crudy enough that they didn't flush the bullnose, therefore leaving a perfect line for us to use as a tape guide. I even thought we would be able to freehand those because of the line the drywallers created by not using enough mud, but freehanding is much more difficult than most can imagine. The crisp line created by the blue tape is the only way I would/will do it, nothing else is acceptable to me.

Bullnose is not real popular here in the Louisville area, I've always seen lots of it in Florida. I kind of thought it originated down there.

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
Freehand?? Yeah right, I tried that in my macho days and it looked like crap. We just did some bullnose patio homes last year and we had to use the blue tape. Our drywallers were just crudy enough that they didn't flush the bullnose, therefore leaving a perfect line for us to use as a tape guide. I even thought we would be able to freehand those because of the line the drywallers created by not using enough mud, but freehanding is much more difficult than most can imagine. The crisp line created by the blue tape is the only way I would/will do it, nothing else is acceptable to me.

Bullnose is not real popular here in the Louisville area, I've always seen lots of it in Florida. I kind of thought it originated down there.
did a bunch in florida. i sort of like it if done right.

they is no way to successfully freehand it, but a few pics sure would help to change my mind...

still waiting.

but i already know the remodeler is full of talk...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts