Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our house is brick, built in '84. Neither my wife or I care very much for the color of the brick and were contemplating painting it. Any thoughts/tips/recommendations/experience with doing this?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Its no problem, my only word of caution is you have a virtually maintenance free exterior that now will require maintenance. Has the brick had any kind of silicone sealer applied to it in the last 5 years? if so that will be a problem.

Does it have deep mortar joints? if so a roller may not get into them and so it may need to be sprayed.

Clean the brick and power wash, apply SW Loxon primer, if the brick is really absorbent then I would consider two coats of Loxon primer.
Top coat with two coats of good quality exterior satin paint such as SW Duration.

Yes that is four coats of paint, but it is your home. Get a good foundation of primer on it. Use the best quality products so you are not repainting it every 5 years, anything less will be false economy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread but I am about to do one that is brick veneer. They are very smooth only texture is the joints. am going to spray, should say very dark brown color. Would this change anything in your prep?

·
Registered
488 Posts
But that is real brick what I am talking about is maybe 1/2" thick or less and has a very smooth, almost glazed, finish. If you put the pressure washer on it too long and hard the color will change with clear water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend against using a regular masonry primer. The product that I would recommend is SW Loxon Conditioner. It is a primer but is much thinner. When going over brick and mortar must stay thin to win.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Our house is brick, built in '84. Neither my wife or I care very much for the color of the brick and were contemplating painting it. Any thoughts/tips/recommendations/experience with doing this?
I'd determine beforehand if the interior moisture vapor has somewhere to go besides thru the brick to the outside, which will of course, take the mortor salts with it thru the paint, and maybe take the paint off too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.