Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can find a way to paint just about any part of a house without getting agrovated with it, except for one thing, and that's painting basebords where their is carpet.

Their just doesn't seem to be an easy way to paint baseboards without getting paint on the carpet, unless you set the nails and take them off first.

I've used everthing from drywall trowls to cardboard the cut in around the bottom, but I always manage to get some paint on the carpet.

Has anyone came up with a good way to paint baseboards where theirs carpet?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ya know S.W.C.
If your willing to make a little bit of an investment, (about 130-150 bucks), you can try the 3M masking film system. They are available at Sherwin Williams and some big box stores like Lowes.

The one at SW comes with an instructional video which does help out. I bought it specifically for trim work. I had the same problem as you do, paint on the carpet.

When I use the masking film, I mask about 1/2 inch past the trim. The kit comes with a wide tuck knife, but I use my putty knife, and tuck that extra 1/2 inch right in between the carpet and the trim, as deep as I can.

This basically solved the problem for me. Well worth the investment. Check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've tried tucking painters tape in between the baseboards and the carpet, but it's just not tough enough, so the putty knife cuts right through it.

I'm thinking maybe some fiberglass tape would work better.

I'll look into one of those 3M Masking things, if it'll make the job easier it's worth it's wait in gold to me.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took 4" wide strips of 18 to 24 gage galvanize metal & bent 1" of the width at about a 45 degree angle. Most are 36" to 48" long but make several shorter pieces for closets and off sets. These are heavy enough to stay in place and hold the carpet away from the base moulding. Leave in place until the paint is dry. I use tape right in the cornors. Like ProWall says "don't use a loaded brush" right at the bottom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
S.W.C.,

It will come, just keep at it. I used to shove the tape under the base (or in the crack if the base was set on the floor), but now I just brush it like the ProWallGuy. I think the trick is not to use too big of a brush. For three and a half inch trim I’ll use a two or a two and a half inch angled (or sash) brush. You can bend a good curve with it and slip those bristles right on down into that crack. Sometimes you may need to open the gap up a little with a putty knife and hit it before the carpet fibers relax back into place.

I used to hate to paint base for the same reasons, but now it is one of the quickest and easiest task I do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I can paint base boards pretty quick, it's just a pain to do them.

I know theirs a better way, it's just a matter of inventing something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Base boards

Base boards are a pain, try to convince the home owner to get new baseboards. These are really easy to install, and painting them before putting them on is great.

If you need to paint them use a medium adhesion tape and mask the carpet while pushing the carpet down. Usually you can get pretty far down exspecially when theres pad or thick carpet. Make sure to get some tape on the bottom of the baseboard to. This works sometimes for me, and when it doesn't I use no masking at all.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I use old plastic vertical blinds. Window treatments are my newest venture but I have been installing them for years and have plenty of the vanes. They cut easily with a boxcutter, pocket knife or tinsnips.
Contact a few people in the biz and they will load you up with them. I send 3-400#s a week to recycling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been doing pretty good with a taping knife, except for carpeted stairs, those are the worst, especially when the carpet hasn't be tucked in between the tread and the riser, so theirs a curve instead of a corner.

I'm working on fabricating a few tools to get into all those hard to get to places, even curved corners. Maybe I can start a line of specialty tools some day.

Teetorbilt; I noticed you install window treatments.

Have you come up with a good way to clean window blinds?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
SWC, keep a carpet kicker handy, then just tuck any mistakes with a little kick.

Had an installer carpet over his Mc chicken sandwich once, then tried to fix the problem with direct applied air jordan presure. He might have got away with it if rover hadn't dug up the rug.

Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey guys.
After my 1st post, I dont know if some of you got the wrong impression about the 3M system. Its not actually tape, its a 12" adhesive roll that sticks to any surface. For a complete interior job, Ive been using the rolls and no tarps. (size 13 boot, tend to trip over tarp corners). It's garenteed not to let paint bleed through.
I just add the cost of a new case of rolls into the bid. But using it the way I described above, rolling it next to the trim, leaving 2" of excess. Then taking a mud knife and stuffing that 2"s down between the carpet and trim, I have been able to breeze right through trim work. I could even slop it on, and still get nothing on the carpet.

·
MartythePainter
14 Posts
I just use 2 inch tape. Let it ride up onthe base about one half inch, and with both hands together use fingers to push and tuck tape under edge of base. You can load up two good coats and pull tape when dry. I usually bust the edge first with a flex blade.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've come to learn how to use just a brush. Try using tape till you get the hang of using just a brush. Practice trying not to get anything on the tape.

·
Sharpie
227 Posts
I'm trying a new method right now. First coat goes on on Monday...Finished by Wednesday....so I'll let you know how it went then.....NO hints yet..

·
Registered
330 Posts
SWC, I don't use any masking at all but if you must, I think you will find the 3M maskers to be kind of a hassle when compared with taking a little longer to cut in near carpeting. I don't know your process but if you paint the walls last it'll give you some lee-way to spread the bristles out a little bc its ok if you get a little bit on the wall it self bc you are painting it later.

·
Registered
121 Posts
. I don't know your process but if you paint the walls last it'll give you some lee-way to spread the bristles out a little bc its ok if you get a little bit on the wall it self bc you are painting it later.
I paint the baseboards last, wouldn't want spray from the roller getting on a fresh coat of paint.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lightly canopy tape trim w/ blue tape first...no spatter. I used to do it the other way but don't you find it hard to get exactly straight lines when cutting in door or window frames?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts