Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
First time Iv'e came across this material and after reading tons of info, I decided to come here and get any info from those of you who are familiar with the substrate and painting and patching of it.
I know some websites state you must use an elastomeric paint and others have said duration is close enough to use.
What the views of the pros who have came across this material, any comments and input are greatly appreciated

Thanks David

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Are you talking about damage into the foam layer of an EIFS exterior finish? Is the existing exterior painted, or original EIFS with color? Dryvit brand? Unknown brand?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has been previously painted and some of the holes are right through, to the extent you can see the concrete inner shell.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You need to find out the original finish, brand and texture, then hire someone with experience patching acrylic finishes.

If you see cement, I'm assuming it's hard coat and your looking at wire and scratch. Or is it on foam? The problem with patching is they are visible usually. I would be upfront with the HO about this. If you get someone who has exp patching and then paint the wall, it can blend in well enough . On the other hand if your patchwork is not feathered in well, the painted wall will accentuate the sub par repair. Hope that makes sense.

Acrylic finishes are applied with wet on wet edge. Any patch will surely leave a lap line, because at some point you will be applying new finish over old.

As far as painting , again need to find out what's already been used . I've used SW Loxon . If the existing finish has lots of hairline cracks, then you may wanna use an elastomeric. Duration wouldn't bridge the cracks. Thorolastic does a good job. You may wanna steam clean it first for better adhesion. As long as the existing paint is acrylic, either of the two products I mentioned would work.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I am painting some Dryvit next week, patching is difficult to blend in. I am painting with 2 coats of SW Loxon XP. Good power washing first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts