Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have been working for a guy. (personal info removed)
Well I just finished up a job in Plymouth, MI
I worked 5 and half weeks he paid me $1,500 I was told we were going to split the $9,850.00 now job is done builder sent him the check for the balance of the job $6,850.00 he told me I ain't getting any money for two weeks and I got $750 coming.
I am going to Plymouth and file a lien on their house, the builder says he can't cut me a check, so I am going to send a letter to homeowners letting them know they won't get their C of O to move back in.
What else can I do to get my money? Any help would be appreciated guys Thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Employee I was to be paid for my hours $30.00 an hour I've worked for him since 12/14/2012 he told me he had to pay taxes every month but I never got pay check or pay stub

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
He's out of Colorado?

Good to see ya back Frank!

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
Changing states doesn't get him clear. Besides the state laws which may have been broken, there are corresponding federal laws.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no he lives in Colorado he does work in Michigan and in Colorado he runs a painting company here and in Colorado he also does carpet and new construction commercial work here in Michigan, in Colorado he does residential repaint he's got a couple guys to work for him out there

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I have worked for this guy since December 2012 he paid me by check when I started with him I have never signed a application W2 1099 nothing
He pays me now on my bankcard I have a Chase card so I didn't have to pay the $6.00 charge every time I cashed a pay check.
I have worked all year I haven't got a signal pay sub, to be paid I had to hand write what I did every day in detail, I felt like I was writing one of those self help books:rolleyes:
I have gone on job sites and someone would ask who I was Working for, I would say "Alternative Painting Jason Day is the owner"
They would reply with "That azzhole!" Every person I have come in contact with even his uncle:no:
I have always done a quality job have always been told by customers how great a job I did, he wanted me to cut corners, Sorry I couldn't do it. Do it right or don't do it.
So I have to contact Michigan Wage & Labor an file a complaint.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
He pays me now on my bankcard I have a Chase card so I didn't have to pay the $6.00 charge every time I cashed a pay check.
I have worked all year I haven't got a signal pay sub, to be paid I had to hand write what I did every day in detail
So he did direct deposit into your account. You'll need that history of direct deposits, and match them to you record of hours worked to show you were working hourly.

I'd send him a registered letter with return receipt saying you worked for him, including your hourly pay, start date, end date, wages owed, and demand payment of the unpaid wages and copies of the pay stubs.

A free lawyer may have some better ideas, but unless he gets motivated to pay you, you're stuck.

If you looked around a little, the set up violated a bunch of federal and state labor laws. If he thinks he's have the feds chasing him across state lines, I'm betting he won't want the trouble.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well he burned me so just that every Painter in Colorado knows who he is Jason Day he lives on Arista in Broomfield, CO
His Company name
Alternative Painting
Keep and eye on this guy.
My wife does home healthcare work and a lady she takes care of her son lives in Colorado and she has a house their to.
Well Jason did work for her son well he did the type of job like he always does half azz work.
Well they filed a law suit against him and his company.
I also found out that he burned another contractor who he wanted to be partners with well he owes this guy $18,000 and they are going to Court and Jason thinks I am going to testifying on his behalf :laughing:
I hope they call me as a witness cause I am going to let the Court know what he does when it comes to paying his employees how he has burned half a dozen guys that I know of.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well guys I found out some interesting things about Mr. Jason Day my wife called the State and she found out that Mr. Day hasn't paid Taxes to the State of Michigan since 1999 well they notified the IRS and as of July the State issued a Stop and desist cause he isn't aloud to work here. Also the lady my wife works for she is posting this on a website about Colorado contractor so like I told him he ain't messing with some punk kid who he can walk over, my wife and I are going to make it hard on his company, he may have burned me out of $3,000 but I am going to cost him more. Also I met with the Builder and I am now taking care of all of his painting on his jobs:laughing:
So maybe I'll have the last laugh:clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts