Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new roof. Contract said rotten fascia and soffit would be replaced at extra cost ($70 board plus labor). New roof done and paid for so next up was siding repair and paint. Painter is saying we need roof repairs but that it should have been done with the new roof. Now, it will be harder and much more expensive for us. I’m stressed out worrying that we need expensive roof repairs on a brand new roof (2 weeks old).

Help please. Any opinions on what we should ask the roofer to do and how much extra it will be?

Attachments

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m in Oregon. Rainy, rainy Oregon

I guess I am trying to figure out if the painter is correct and 1. they shouldn’t have left this rot and 2. it will be harder to address now versus when the roof was off.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,642 Posts
Yes, far easier to change facia boards when the roof is off for sure.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Custom
12,894 Posts
This is not clear... If your contract specified the rotten fascia & soffit repairs that needed to be done while doing the roof, along with pricing, are you saying you paid them and they didn't do the work?...

But yeah, it would not make sense for a painter to paint rotted materials and he's right to refuse to do so...

·
Super Moderator
24,170 Posts
Does your contract call out specific varges & facia?

If you wanted the repairs done why didn't you bring it up during construction?

And yes, the painter is correct.

Where in oregon?

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your contract call out specific varges & facia?

If you wanted the repairs done why didn't you bring it up during construction?

And yes, the painter is correct.

Where in oregon?
Yes, the contract does call out for repairs as needed but doesn’t call out specific places. I did point out the areas and trusted that they would make their expert judgement as to what needed replaced. I was charged $200 over what the original was 5 plywood was included at no charge). I honestly looked at the pieces that weren’t replaced and figured they must not be that bad, just needed paint. They replaced some but not others for a reason, right? It wasn’t until the painter said something that I started to worry.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not clear... If your contract specified the rotten fascia & soffit repairs that needed to be done while doing the roof, along with pricing, are you saying you paid them and they didn't do the work?...

But yeah, it would not make sense for a painter to paint rotted materials and he's right to refuse to do so...
They did some repairs, so I thought the parts that were left weren’t bad enough to be replaced. I did pay $200 over what the original contract called for due to rot and would happily have paid more, had they seen the need to replace more.

·
Registered
Custom
12,894 Posts
Sounds like you need to have a discussion with your roofer as to why the rotted material remained when it was in the contract to be replaced and provisions for pricing specified...

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you need to have a discussion with your roofer as to why the rotted material remained when it was in the contract to be replaced and provisions for pricing specified...
Thank you! I was hoping you all would tell me the painter was incorrect and my roof was fine. I will be talking to the roofer.

·
Registered
11,062 Posts
Silly question, but do roofers really address and replace rotted rafters, or tell them to hire a carpenter separately? I ask because I can think of lots of times where even sketchy fascia is left alone or wrapped. I've often wondered if it was discussed and whether the owner just didn't want to pay for it, or the contractor didn't want to deal with it.

There's no quick fix for that.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,519 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.