Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer that has a 100+ year old home. In a magazine, they saw a distressed wood floor that looked to be painted. Has anyone painted a wood floor? What was the outcome? Is a colored stain a better option? They'd like it to look distressed, but my concern is peeling/chipping.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Painted floors were popular around the Victorian era. A common scheme was a large black and white checkerboard pattern, I believe that is what influenced some of the early lineoleum. Borders were also painted around the perimeter of a den or great room, many times these could be quite elaborate.
All paint jobs are dependent on the prep, you may have to strip off the old finish(es) if there is any chance of it being waxed. Paint has come a long way since then and most any good paint designated for floors should yield good results. Personally, I would go with the 2-part paints that are used for boat decks, that's one tough paint.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ahhhhh! The good old days! I was standing in the sawpit when I first heard of someone inventing the waterwheel.

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Ahhhhh! The good old days! I was standing in the sawpit when I first heard of someone inventing the waterwheel.
Check out ArmourSeal epoxy, its a one part epoxy thats hard as a rock. We use it regularly on many different types of flooring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts