Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the other recent threads but a few of you guys have mentioned painting trim before install. How do you handle all your nail holes?

It takes two coats of paint to cover up sparkle where the sheen isn't different from sucking up the paint differently. So in my mind you have to go around and touch paint or primer at every spot before a final coat.

Just wondering what the benefit is...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You just have to be careful how you fill and fill only the holes.Don't smear it all over.Use a filler that does not shrink.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had some baseboard installed on my condo for sale. I painted them beforehand. The Home Depot hired contractor installer used a nail gun with staples/nails. The staples that secured the trim to the wall were so tiny, I could hardly see the staple holes. Needless to say, patching and painting them afterwards was a breeze. I could almost fill them in with paint.

They weren't really staples, but rather very small thin nails with a tiny rectangular nail head. They secured the baseboards to the wall well.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
don't go nuts with the nail gun, use dap fast 'n final spackle to fill nail holes, and don't smear it everywhere.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I didn't want to hijack the other recent threads but a few of you guys have mentioned painting trim before install. How do you handle all your nail holes?

It takes two coats of paint to cover up sparkle where the sheen isn't different from sucking up the paint differently. So in my mind you have to go around and touch paint or primer at every spot before a final coat.

Just wondering what the benefit is...
I think for the most part it is about baseboard.

Jambs,casing and crown should be easily panted after installation.

Adhesive caulking and well placed nails limit the amount of work on pre painted base.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I 1 coat all then 2nd coat the top edge of the baseboards. Install and fill the nail holes and I only have to paint the faces. Done this for years and works great

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds like he used a pin nailer but I didn't think they would shoot long enough nails. I use my brad nailer but the holes from that definitely need filled.
If your going to spray the trim I really don't see any advantage to painting it first.

·
Registered
26,163 Posts
FWIW, I'll use no shrink spackle, and artist acrylics, mix it up. Most matches only take a little bit of acrylic, and it doesn't have to be perfect to disappear. Top coating is just a bonus.

·
Pro Painters
38 Posts
What about caulking to the wall?

IMHO, it looks unfinished without caulk.

Some people, I know, caulk after it's painted but it usually discolors and I think looks bad.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TBFGhost said:
I have a job coming up and they want this. I hate when they ask for the trim to be pre painted. Making field joints becomes a pain because you need to sand through the latex paint to sand the joint flush.
I've read all the answers but what I still don't get is how it looks as good as doing it right.

Show me a product you can fill holes with and paint one coat over and not have the sheen sucked out of the semi gloss trim paint. Of course this is all assuming it gets a second coat after it goes on.

I'm assuming it's
Pre paint, install, caulk, putty, 2nd coat. And the results will not be as good as 2 coats at the end. IMO...

·
General Contractor
7,895 Posts
Most FJ millwork comes already primed, unless ordered otherwise. There is no need to paint it before the install, because by the time you install it, do the caulking, fill nail holes,etc you will have to re-paint it anyway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Out of curiosity. Whats your procedure for Mdf shelving in closets. It's not primed and there is cleats and shelving that need painting after the finish carpenter made up the closets to the clients request. Some of those areas are 10 wide X 14 deep cubby holes for shoes. They want the MDF painted the same color as the trim a cream color and the back walls to stay as the grey wall color.

·
General Contractor
7,895 Posts
Out of curiosity. Whats your procedure for Mdf shelving in closets. It's not primed and there is cleats and shelving that need painting after the finish carpenter made up the closets to the clients request. Some of those areas are 10 wide X 14 deep cubby holes for shoes. They want the MDF painted the same color as the trim a cream color and the back walls to stay as the grey wall color.
I forgot the last time I used MDF shelving... Every home built of spec gets wire, if there is a customer involved prior to shelving being installed, they get an upgrade option to install closet organizers which is 3/4 melamine construction.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
greg24k said:
Most FJ millwork comes already primed, unless ordered otherwise. There is no need to paint it before the install, because by the time you install it, do the caulking, fill nail holes,etc you will have to re-paint it anyway.
Yes everything we install comes primed unless we are matching trim old houses.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts