Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a problem. I picked up some Ready Strip for my guys to use on some really crapped out trim. I figured they would use it on the really bad parts and left them to it. They ended up putting it on every bit of front trim, even the solid stuff I would usually just degloss.
then they let it dry while they primed other parts of the building. Now I have a layer of dried stripper on everything and need to deal with it.

Any ideas. Can we just take 50 grit and sand it all down?

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No supervision?:whistling

maybe a scraper...
Yeah, I know. I figured they could read the directions. And they wonder why I keep telling them things that are obvious. This would be the reason I tend to be an over obsessive ******* to work for. I had no choice, I have to be on another job. Luckily, only one more day and the I can be there full time.

Normally I might just chalk it up to an oops, but it is a T&M job. I can accept an occasional loss on my end, but I don't like to cost a customer money for nothing. Of course, the guys just think it is a learning experience. I had to explain that we aren't getting paid to learn, we are getting paid to perform.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to drag this post out, but it ended up having a very happy ending. Turns out that once the owner saw the crap wood under all that paint, he wants us to tear out the entire front framed glass area of the building and rebuild it. Of course, we only have a week or so to do that, plus get the tenant in, plus... We had two weeks of work left before that. :laughing:

Should actually be a fun project. It's good to be the blind squirrel every once in a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cover that stripper with plastic film it will stay wet longer and eat through more layers. Try to avoid bare wood with the stripper as it digests that too....

tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Vinyl, did you got a solution to this? I know the thread is a bit old but really wanted to know if you went through the solution? and could suggest me something? i have some internet resources like one at paint catalogue

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. A real blast from the past.

That was a long time ago... Amazing how long.

Sanding it should work once it dries.

Looking back, I should have just hit it with a scraper, sanded it real quick and called it a day.

As for stripping, the only real solution for me is heat.

But then possible lead issues can come up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts