Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time this has happened. Just got done with a boat bottom (soda) during clean up we aired the boat then proceeded to rinse it. After the rince we noticed the side of the boat had become stained with the blue paint we blew off, in multiple spots. This was on the side below the fuel fill. My question is will the paint be able to be buffed out? I didnt know if anyone had come across this. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
do you have pitures?

you could paint over it, but if buffing out, I don't know?

some paints stain the fiberglass anyway. could have been there before you rinsed it, by taking off the dust you probable just made it more noticable.
If you got pics, can you show some?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I know somone else in here said that happened to them. I think they had soda blasted with water. Jim, that wasn't you? I havn't seen that happen to me yet. I have always blasted them dry and when I have blown them off I don't really notice any blue dust on them after. Do you have a before pic?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Murphys law camera batteries dead so no pictures. The boat is a 27 ft. grady white fiberglass. It seems the dust/paint reactivated along the fuel fill side of the boat. We tried to rub it out with wet towels unsuccessfully. It seems to have gelled with the wax I think it has to do with the fuel splatter deteriorating the wax. The owner of the boat said he would buff it out but I have a problem convincing myself its going to be that easy.I don't like driving away from any project with concerns,I just don't have the answer to this situation so I had to leave and try to figure it out,either to fix myself if needed or at least have the answer.I have a feeling the wax is going to need to be stripped along the whole side and reapplication. $$$

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
North, it's gotta be that the paint has become porous and was unprotected. I see the sane thing on any older white car I work on. If any of the black urethane gets on them you can't wipe it off completly. It will buff out and now he cought the problem before the paint gets real bad. Probably did him a favor.

·
First Mate Yacht Detailin
12 Posts
Tip of the Day..........tilex and bar keepers friend will get that out...mix the two together with a some water in a terry cloth towel then rub on the stain ( both are safe for the gel-coat) then re-wax where you applied the mixture. should work just fine.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Glen, I did one with water last year, as I was going along, the wet mud was hard to see through, and washed off ok.
The people repainted, but to buff it out and leave it as a waxed bottom, would have to blast a little harder.

I have only had one guy that wanted to "just buff it out" after and NOT repaint.

some one had hit it a few times befor with sand paper, and took off a lot of glass to. there wasn't much after I was done. I kept stopping and looking because I thought I was taking the glass off, then I realised it was gouge marks that I was looking at. You could still see the grinding marks from the sander.

I told the guy after, that I felt that he was not going to get a good clean buffing? and should consider re gelcoating. he thought I was nuts.

Drove home upset, but got over it. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts