Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part, I build things and stay within the realm of carpentry. But I do on occasion get jobs where I have to do some painting. I wanted to ask you professional painters what paints you recommended. I understand it will depend on what exactly is being painted, but what paint line do you use to paint interior walls (latex), interior trim, and exterior trim? I know that a quality paint brush and roller matters too, so what do you recommend for these as well? Thanks for any and all input.

David

·
Registered
431 Posts
What paints do your local paint stores carry? There are some national brands that may or may not be in your area. But each area of the country has their own great local paints. Great national brands would be - Benjamin Moore,
Pratt and Lambert. Paints I use more local to the northeast would be Muralo, and California paints - I even love Ace paint has a good quality 2nd tier paint.
Do you have Devoe in your area? Brands I know through reputation but have no experience with are Kelly-Moore paints of the midwest and Kurfees paint of the south. What paints do your local merchants offer?

-PlainPainter

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I can get Benjamin Moore, Pratt & Lambert, and of course Ace and Sherwin-Williams. I'm in the south, so I'll have to look into Kurfees and Devoe. Locally, there is a Helm paint store and a Monarch paint store. Has anybody heard of or used these?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Monarch paint is a subsidiary of PPG, other paint companies that fall under PPG enterprise are Olympic Paints and stains, Pittshburgh paints, Porter paint, etc. What you have to ask yourself - do you believe in these big paint conglomerates - are these paint companines truly acting as independent paint labels, only sending their profits back to ppg headquarters. Or as some people think - all just a bunch of different labels on the same paint? Who knows - I suspect there is a little of both in the industry. I.E. - I'd like to believe that even though Sherwin Williams now owns Pratt & Lambert - that P&L paint is still P&L paint and not Sherwin Williams crap.

I'd go to that helms paint store and buy their Benny Moore paint - you will never hear any complaints from it.

-PlainPainter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts