Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
Tell him

"Fine I'll do it, but I need a deposit then you can pay me the rest after the job is done...and we have to do it cash because if I have to claim $10/hr then it really leaves me with nothing...I'm only doing this because you're my friend"

Then ask for a deposit in the amount he already owes you, plus interest.

Then tell him to kiss your *#@ with his tongue out.

With friends like that you don't need enemies.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tell him

"Fine I'll do it, but I need a deposit then you can pay me the rest after the job is done...and we have to do it cash because if I have to claim $10/hr then it really leaves me with nothing...I'm only doing this because you're my friend"

Then ask for a deposit in the amount he already owes you, plus interest.

Then tell him to kiss your *#@ with his tongue out.

With friends like that you don't need enemies.
:laughing:

I guess hes not really a friend, more of somone I know.

Surely he didn't borrow money from you around the time he had the kitchen painted?
He had the kitchen painted about 2 years ago. He owes me for 2 welding jobs and some other stuff. He always pays me, I do alot of work on his farm equipment.

If he wants to find some hillbilly for $10hr thats fine with me but when people start talking about things like my scaffolding then I start smoking. :furious: That stuff isnt cheap and it doesnt take a genius to figure that out so where do they get the idea you will use it to make 20 bucks. :rolleyes:

·
Allrounder Home Services
465 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
This cheap price sh!t is getting on my nerves.
This past week I told two customers that what they want and what there budget is are not even close.
Followed that up with, I can stay home with the children and play all day and be broke or do your job at your price and be broke, what would you do if you were me.
People know what it cost they just keep listening to the news on how bad things are and they think we are going to give our services away.
NOT I.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I forgot to mention this $10hr painting guy is the same guy who back in the fall or early winter wanted a unfinished attic room finished into a small bedroom. He wanted it done, fast, done right with good materials and done cheap. I just let it go and I guess he forgot about it because he never brought it up.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
I'd tell him... "$10/hour, sure... for the scaffold... now what about me?"...

...and then remind him that he paid $1800 for his kitchen, with no scaffolding, inside, no second story, etc... one side of the house is more work than that...

...and then see if he is a mooch or a friend... :whistling

Let me guess... the $10/hour INCLUDES materials, right?... :laughing: :no:

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'd tell him... "$10/hour, sure... for the scaffold... now what about me?"...

...and then remind him that he paid $1800 for his kitchen, with no scaffolding, inside, no second story, etc... one side of the house is more work than that...

...and then see if he is a mooch or a friend... :whistling

Let me guess... the $10/hour INCLUDES materials, right?... :laughing: :no:
You guys drug up a old thread. :laughing:

This guy did get his house painted, there was a sign in the yard from whoever did it. Id like to know what he paid. Id bet it was more then $10hr. I haven't talked to this guy in years, I don't have any plan to either.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
You guys drug up a old thread. :laughing:

This guy did get his house painted, there was a sign in the yard from whoever did it. Id like to know what he paid. Id bet it was more then $10hr. I haven't talked to this guy in years, I don't have any plan to either.
Dang... fell for the old thread trick again... :blink:

It's Kevin M's fault...

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dang... fell for the old thread trick again... :blink:

It's Kevin M's fault...
Yeah I don't look tat dates either when someone drags something out of the trash. :laughing:

Brings back memories though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Even though this is an old thread, the topic comes up again and again. I get really tired of "friends" and neighbors that really have no clue try to weasel ridiculous deals out of you. It seems like they all think we have time to burn and giving them a great deal costs us nothing! The way I look at it, if I can earn $5000 on a job for a regular customer, but decide to give a buddy a break, and can only earn $1000, my "buddy" now is $4000 richer, and I am $4000 poorer.

I have a very good friend who is a jeweler, and makes all kinds of very nice, hand made jewelry. I have bought several pieces for my wife over the years. He always offers me the product at cost, with no consideration for the time it takes him to make it. I ALWAYS pay full price.

It pi$$es me off that so many of his "friends" take advantage of him. It also pi$$es me off that he lets them do it. His product is very unique, and I buy from him because it is beautifully done; not because of some deal, or that he is a friend. I don't want to take money from his family. He earned that money! If I can't afford it, I don't buy it, or look at other pieces that I can afford. I don't want him to subsidize birthday or Christmas presents for my wife.

Likewise, I don't think we should be subsidizing home improvement projects for our "friends."

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Christ man, I hadn't seen a post form you in so long I thought you were dead.

Glad you are not though. :thumbup:

Andy.
Ive had a few close calls :laughing:

I started school back in the summer, since I also farm a little I don't have any free time in the summer. Throw school in with it and, I was getting about 3 hours of sleep. To add to it I bought my first house. A nice house really cheap because the basement wall caved in. The basement is done, now it needs a furnace.

Ive still got the trencher tore apart and Im almost done with a JD 2010 loader tractor.

I wish I could go back to when I was 8, 24 hours then was like a year now.

Even though this is an old thread, the topic comes up again and again. I get really tired of "friends" and neighbors that really have no clue try to weasel ridiculous deals out of you. It seems like they all think we have time to burn and giving them a great deal costs us nothing! The way I look at it, if I can earn $5000 on a job for a regular customer, but decide to give a buddy a break, and can only earn $1000, my "buddy" now is $4000 richer, and I am $4000 poorer.

I have a very good friend who is a jeweler, and makes all kinds of very nice, hand made jewelry. I have bought several pieces for my wife over the years. He always offers me the product at cost, with no consideration for the time it takes him to make it. I ALWAYS pay full price.

It pi$$es me off that so many of his "friends" take advantage of him. It also pi$$es me off that he lets them do it. His product is very unique, and I buy from him because it is beautifully done; not because of some deal, or that he is a friend. I don't want to take money from his family. He earned that money! If I can't afford it, I don't buy it, or look at other pieces that I can afford. I don't want him to subsidize birthday or Christmas presents for my wife.

Likewise, I don't think we should be subsidizing home improvement projects for our "friends."
I agree for the most part. Ive done some pretty big jobs free for friend but they helped and they are the type of people who will help you out if you needed it.

A old lady that my dad always helped out told me one time she wanted to pay whatever I would charge a normal person. I though sure you do. She had 3 small 2nd story decks on apartments that were rotted away. I told her I would tear them off and put 2 new decks up for $3800. She was furious about the price. She hired a handy man from her church for $16hr. A few months later she bitched at me because she paid him to patch in where the rotted wood was and paint the decks and it costs almsot $5000. I dont know why thats my fault. I guess she didnt understand that the cheapest and fastest way to fix them was to rip the rotted mess off. We dont talk anymore.

Im going to try and get my tractor put back together and put in a new drain field for a friend. I do a lot of mechanic work for him and welding. In fact I just did some work on his mother in laws rental house and hes been telling me to get her a bill.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The "friend" of the OP doesn't really sound like a friend but I'd just say "no, thanks" and let them find out how far that money goes. If someone knows me and what I do and still thinks I'm worth -$10 per hour(after costs) then I'm not going to try and explain my value.

I decided last year that I'm done doing work for free or reduced cost up front for friends and family. If I want to, I'll give them a chunk back at the end of the job so they can appreciate the actual savings. If they're asking for help then I'll jump in for free but I'm not going to work while they're inside watching TV. I can't think of the last time I was able to ask one of my friends to do me a favor that would be comparable and I usually try to throw as much business my friends way as I can. I'd rather they get the money.

I've done a few projects for people where I cut THOUSANDS off the price and explained that I was doing so. After the first conversation it was like it never happened and it was just another job. What I learned from that is to take the regular price and, if they're willing to pay, give them the discount back at the end of the job. Saying "I'll give you a discount" is different than handing someone $2k that they already considered spent.

Maybe I'm just jaded...

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So, a newby dragged up a 5 year old thread, only to delete his post?? :blink::huh:
he must have wanted it out in the open for some reason.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts