Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been looking for a device that I can place in my trailer and can hold some paint, Texture mud, and some caulk tubes to keep them from freezing in the winter months here in Michigan. Though for sure there must be something like a chest size warmer box. I am guessing it can run off of my truck while driving of course and when stopped for the night I could have it plugged into the house or customers house? If anyone has already dealt with this I would appreciate any info if you could.

Thanks
Eibli1cj

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You can buy 12V hot/cold boxes but their expensive. Why not build the right size box, insulate it and put a 12V bulb or two inside for when you're running, maybe a small 110V that you can plug in when you get home. It shouldn't take much, try something like an 1136 12V bulb (Ithink that that's the one with the integral brake/tail filaments) gives you a 2 speed heater. For the 110 side try a nightlight.
Incandesent lights put out a lot of heat in an enclosed area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teetorbilt said:
You can buy 12V hot/cold boxes but their expensive. Why not build the right size box, insulate it and put a 12V bulb or two inside for when you're running, maybe a small 110V that you can plug in when you get home. It shouldn't take much, try something like an 1136 12V bulb (Ithink that that's the one with the integral brake/tail filaments) gives you a 2 speed heater. For the 110 side try a nightlight.
Incandesent lights put out a lot of heat in an enclosed area.
Thanks Those are some good ideas. I will give it a try and also look into just how expensive those 12V Hot/Cold boxes run.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
They're about $100 + for 12V. Dual volts start at over twice that. They also pull some pretty serious amps.
I am going back to my boat experience on this and I know that 3 or 4 100W bulbs will keep a 60ft. yacht from freezing up there and they aren't very well insulated.
You could also place a dimmer switch in line and dial the sucker in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the bulbs work fine use blue stirofome or roof ins. to box it in and don't forget ducktape
used that for years . I used to live in Petoskey put some on the floor to . we kept mud worm in Pellston befour . Good luck and have a happy and safe holidays . watch out for the fudges. lol :Thumbs:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Heater box !..

Eibli1c

Go to Walmart they sell an inverter 12 V to 250 Watts $ 30.00
you can run 3 100 watt bulbs it plugs into your cig. lighter hope this helps

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
man, what you talkin' bout? Why an inverter? 12V incandesent's will throw out about the same heat as 110 without a power loss in transition. Most lighter receptacles will handle 10A @ 12V = 120WDC. Ohm's Law.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theman said:
Eibli1c

Go to Walmart they sell an inverter 12 V to 250 Watts $ 30.00
you can run 3 100 watt bulbs it plugs into your cig. lighter hope this helps
I already have an inverter....I want a box that can get power to heat the bulbs from the trailer. Then when I am home for the weekend I can plug it into the garage outlet. Thinking I will set it up so their is an external outlet on my trailer. The Aux from the truck should do the trick for the power I need. Two bulbs should be fine. I am in the market for a 16 ft V-nose Carmate. I can buy one New for $4800. $200 more gets me the added height I need for the door and windows I will need to load.

Thanks All

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Eibli1cj said:
I am in the market for a 16 ft V-nose Carmate. I can buy one New for $4800. $200 more gets me the added height I need for the door and windows I will need to load.l
Look around for used. I bought my 24' Carmate, enclosed car hauler, last year for $4,000. It was very clean and had lot's of good upgrade options too. I found mine from a couple who ran a traveling mall kiosk and wanted to buy a different trailer. I've found the Carmate to be a great product.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Homer?

First, I just need to know where you got the Homer icon.

As for the heater, my thought was to get a power inverter to power bulbs, but someone addressed that. The other thought I had was to use an inverter to power a small ceramic heater (or 12v if they are available) inside an insulated box. These were just off the top of my head, so I am not sure about the fire safety of these ideas, so I'd definitely check into it if it seems like it might be a workable solution.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey, just wanted to let you know that using an old refrigerator wasn't a joke, but it is actually a simple solution that I have seen many old timers use. All you do is disable the switch that turns off the light inside. The heat from that little bulb and the excellent insulation of a refrigerator is all it takes to keep the interior from freezing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL I was sure you were not joking. Just more of a weight issue to haul around and I do nto have on at this point. But yes I have heard of that.

Chris

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, an old reefer and bulb is used down here to keep welding electrodes from absorbing humidity.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Oops, sorry, didn't see that you needed it to be portable. I guess you could weld an applicance dolly to it. LOL.

Teetor - Using pot to absorbs humidity has got to be expensive!

Oh boy, I'm rolling today... he he

1 - 17 of 17 Posts