Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Paint Brushes

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ppmc 
#1 ·
Hello,
I noticed that some paint brushes indicate that they are genuine chinese bristle. Well if it comes from China, who can say differently. But I noticed that the bristle on some of them are not what I am used to buying. I recently purchased a brush and it indicated that it was made of the finest boar bristle available. These are the type I always bought. Are the Chinese substituting a cheaper product to satisfy American importors?

#2 · (Edited)
That's an interesting question. They are called a china bristle. I think it has more to do with the type of bristles on the brush than where it came from....but who knows, hah! I've never heard of them coming from China though.

Oh yeah, forgot. For brushes, I always buy purdy. They have a new pro line of brushes that is really cool. Just got myself a 3" sash the other day to try em out, and they rock.

#3 · (Edited)
AAPaint,
One of my brushes is a Purdy. Your right; they are good brushes. I have also used Baker, Linzer and recently a brush by MAB called Quality Quest. The Purdy may well be the best of all of them as the one I got is more then a few years old. What store handles the Purdy line? The MAB brush indicates its hog bristle and not boar bristle. I can't recall where I purchased my Purdy.

#4 ·
Sherwin Williams just bought out Purdy. You can get all the Purdy goodies at SW now. Naps, brushes, frames, etc....the whole line. I have been painting for a long time and I have used alot of other brushes, but I have never spent a dime on anything but a purdy. *minus cheap china bristle brushes for one time uses staining or poly'n. I had a buddy that swore by his wooster brush, but that thing was like a brick to me.

#5 ·
AAPaint said:
Sherwin Williams just bought out Purdy.

Are you kidding me? What, paint related item DON'T they own? It's getting to where you can't even spit anymore without hitting some nationwide chain... I guess the only thing they have left to buy is the painting contractors themselves...

Purdy makes the best brushes IMO, lets hope the mega corp doesn't sacrafice the quality for their profit margins like so many others. *cough* craftsmen, dewalt etc.

EDIT: sorry for the off-topic rant...

#6 ·
China bristle.....is hog bristle and it was considered that the best hog bristle came from china. Comes in white, black, brown and I believe grey hairs. "Finest Boar Bristle" is still a hog hair! Depending on the hair, some are softer than others! Are the Chinese substituting the good hog from the old hog????
I have mostly Purdy but its not my favorite. Unfortunatly its what is the most convenient in my area. I like Corona, have had a good Linzer, got a favorite Purdy, even a good All Pro.? Have used some from UK. (Handover and Whistler) and like them.

#9 ·
Exroadog said:
China bristle.....is hog bristle and it was considered that the best hog bristle came from china. Comes in white, black, brown and I believe grey hairs. "Finest Boar Bristle" is still a hog hair! Depending on the hair, some are softer than others! Are the Chinese substituting the good hog from the old hog????
I have mostly Purdy but its not my favorite. Unfortunatly its what is the most convenient in my area. I like Corona, have had a good Linzer, got a favorite Purdy, even a good All Pro.? Have used some from UK. (Handover and Whistler) and like them.
Good bit about brushes there! I would have NEVER known any of that, lol! All I know is what feels good and paints good. Purdy has yet to fail me in this department. PWG makes a good statement though, I do not want to see my fav. brushes turn out to be SW bricks in a Purdy shuck! :evil:

#10 ·
AAPaint said:
I do not want to see my fav. brushes turn out to be SW bricks in a Purdy shuck! :evil:
Hopefully they will have the good sense to leave well enough alone. I think that if they made Purdy's an inferior product the painters would revolt and their paint sales would suffer for it... who knows though.

#12 ·
Natural bristle brushes are used with oil based paints. Water will saturate the hair and make them too flexible, many are manufactured without a reservoir and won't hold much paint/varnish either.
The best for oil/varnish is white china bristle. These seldom have any reservoir and, when trimmed properly, can lay down a finish similar to a spray job.
Black China bristle is coarser and good for mid coats or if a mirror finish is not required. I have seen some guys good with these but it takes a lot of technique, levelers and patience.
I use Purdy's for latex.

#17 ·
Teetorbilt said:
In most cases, it is not the brush. It's the guy behind it.

Yea I agree I am pretty confident I could make your house look brand new with a 3 days dead weasel :Thumbs:

#19 ·
How many dead animals does it take to paint a house?

Dead weasel(paint brush).

Dead skunk(peel paint)

Small gator head(5-1)

Ferrett(skewer through both ends,roller)

You can market this saying all your equipment is bio-degradable. :Thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.