Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or is Behr the worst paint you could possibly use? The consistancy seems to always be different, debris in paint, thick like paste , and sags off wall...ive been doin this ten years, and i never have an issue with any other product. Anyone else have similar experience?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I too think it's terrible. It is low end paint, but these paints are targeted towards homeowners putting on one coat so they have a ton of solids in them, this makes them slow to dry hence the sags. My opinion anyway.

Even quality paints have too much junk in them, I think they have cheapened the process somehow to save $$$$.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
It's not the paint, it's the painter. Nothing personal.

Not all paints are applied the same. Simply because they don't all have the same viscosity. "thicker" paints like behr need to be applied in thinner coats. Likewise for "thinner" paints like Speedwall brand.

MOST painting contractors are either brand loyal, or are only used to painting a select range of paints. So when it comes time to step out of their comfort zone, they blame the product.

I can apply behr, valspar, glidden, sherwin williams, PPG, and please the customer. But not all get applied the same way. You gotta develop a "feel" for the paint.

sags are an application issue, NOT a product issue. if it sags, then you put it on too thick.

·
GC/carpenter
43,949 Posts
Driftweed said:
It's not the paint, it's the painter. Nothing personal. Not all paints are applied the same. Simply because they don't all have the same viscosity. "thicker" paints like behr need to be applied in thinner coats. Likewise for "thinner" paints like Speedwall brand. MOST painting contractors are either brand loyal, or are only used to painting a select range of paints. So when it comes time to step out of their comfort zone, they blame the product. I can apply behr, valspar, glidden, sherwin williams, PPG, and please the customer. But not all get applied the same way. You gotta develop a "feel" for the paint. sags are an application issue, NOT a product issue. if it sags, then you put it on too thick.
And this post right here, sums it up perfect.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I was in Lowes the other day and this customer was like "if there were a HD around here id be there, getting Behr, not this valspar crap. That stuff is great paint. Painted my friends house and 7 years later it looks great!"
Anytime I've used behr it's like glue and I've had brand new buckets of it, sealed very well, chunk up and become useless. They make it so thick, call it "paint and primer in one". what crap

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
It's not the paint, it's the painter. Nothing personal.

Not all paints are applied the same. Simply because they don't all have the same viscosity. "thicker" paints like behr need to be applied in thinner coats. Likewise for "thinner" paints like Speedwall brand.

MOST painting contractors are either brand loyal, or are only used to painting a select range of paints. So when it comes time to step out of their comfort zone, they blame the product.

I can apply behr, valspar, glidden, sherwin williams, PPG, and please the customer. But not all get applied the same way. You gotta develop a "feel" for the paint.

sags are an application issue, NOT a product issue. if it sags, then you put it on too thick.
Thats a fair point, you can definitely make it work but I dont find it ideal. I guess my main problem is how easily it forms chunks, even when sealed in an ideal temp/environment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Driftweed I agree with your post, obviously I didnt leave it that way, Im just saying using that product is a hassle to use. Did I leave the with a profession quality job ? Sure did was just a pain in the ass, the home owner issisted on brand, I prefer BM and never have an issue.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
When a customer picks the product, you adjust. I just see people complain about certain brands more than others. I'm like "well..you let them pick it, silly"

Trust me, you're the pro selling the paint. If you simply tell a customer "that paint sux" then you're shooting yourself in the foot. However, if you realize that they are picking the paint under the train of thought of saving themselves money, or having a sense of control over any aspect of the job.

When a customer tries to do that, it's insecurity screaming at you in your face. They are telling you something. If it's supplying materials to save money, explain to them how because you buy in bulk YOU CAN GET IT CHEAPER.

Brand loyalty can be combatted with a written guarantee of satisfaction, performance of your paint.

You the salesman should have an answer for the customers INSISTENCE of buying materials. Don't be generic either. Break it down for them.

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
Sherwin Williams for me. BM only if the archy is a hard head.

The rest, they can get another builder.

Reactions: sunkist

·
Registered
488 Posts
I really don't want a paint I have to make work. And I feel there is a reason for brand loyalty and it is because that product has worked for them and they know what they can expect from that product line. I have used the dreaded Behr paint and have had problems with it. Now do I want to go get a paint I may have problems with or one I know I can depend on. I think at it's best Behr is an OK paint, But I don't want to do OK paint jobs I want to do WOW paint jobs. OK is good for DIY not good enough for me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
SW and BM are not the easiest paints to apply, nor are they one-coat covers in many cases. But they are both durable, and the colors last. The durability of the colors on some of the lesser brands is terrible - you'll find shadows behind furniture and pictures after a couple of weeks.

The customer pays for results, not ease of application.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My problem with Behr is not so much the results I get, but rather the amount of spatter I get when rolling it. With BM I don't really need to mask the trim. I carry a wet rag, but only end up swiping a couple if spots per room. I usually spray the trim and roll the walls and ceiling.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
I can pretty much put any brand paint on a wall or trim and wind up with a good job. Some don't hide as well, so I may have to put on extra coats - that's the first dollar surprise HOs can have when they pick the paint. Some spatter badly, so I either cover / mask everything or roll slower - more money. Then you have some individual paint peculiarities like the Behr chunking.

I can understand people not wanting to spend $40 or so on a gallon of paint to find out how to work with it, or have it chunk up and become junk.

I think the pickiest application is brushing on glossy trim paints. I've seen a lot of people have trouble adjusting their brush choice and technique to a paint they aren't used to, especially if it's a lower end paint.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Used Behr -prime/paint for the first time last week. :censored: Applied the 'right' way and was going to run 30% short. Stretched the chit out of the remaining ... Results where good all the way around, go figure. Great paint for home owners at a minimum.

SW is still the preferred paint. I miss Mautz. The best paint I ever used and the most expensive. But they are a small regional WI-IA based company so it's a mute point.

Paint's paint to most consumers. Contractors need to have a working knowledge of the good bad and ugly's-time and costs. Suckage to lose a good job remodeling because of being a paint snob.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've never had a problem with BEHR paint. In fact I love their primer, ceiling paint and trim paint. Ultra Pure white by BEHR has to be the most crisp white I've ever used and now only use it for trim and ceilings. Primer as well is great as well. Other then BEHR, Benjamin Moore and SICO are the brands I trust, CIL as well but on the rare occasion. Anything cheap, like Glidden or other low grade builder paints I don't touch. I just don't find durability from them, and some of them I find over priced. Paint is all water, glue and color. The cheaper paints tend to be more water then glue and don't find them to cover well and usually require a third coat of paint to cover well, depending on the color and brand.

This is my personal opinion, and I will paint with whatever brand the HO requests. I do give my opinion. I respect everyone brand of choice and whatever works for them works for them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts