Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am working on a paint job with some drywall repairs and repainting. Pretty simple. Yesterday I go to second coat the walls after priming and first coating and the entire wall breaks out in these crazy blisters!! You can push on the blisters but they come back. Then they peel.....in sheets. The client insisted on using Behr paint and I complied but after calling their customer service number I still have no clue how to fix the situation. The drywall mud had at least five days to dry and the first coat dried for at least a day. Any ideas how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Just wondering if you sanded the walls before you applied your primer? I have used Behr paint I haven't any problems with their paints. I have found that Behr is $.65 cents cheaper then Sherwin Williams Pro Mar 200 and it covers better then. I would say pole sand the walls then try it again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I think there is a couple of issues causing this. Prep work, the walls need to be clean, it seems when the walls still have drywall dust on them sometimes all will be ok and other times nothing will stick.

There could have been other contaminants on the wall too.

Primer, there is a big difference in primers, I tried and no longer use the PVA primers. Quality primer is worth paying for.

How to fix it, I think I would sand the walls to remove all the blisters, primer those open patches then mud the patches so the wall is smooth again. Prime those repairs and then paint the whole wall again.
Rent a power sander if you want to make quick work of it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I forgot to mention, if its not too late, carefully cut open one of the larger blisters and see if you can identify the cause of the failure. I have done this before and found drywall dust on the back of the blistered paint.

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
Are the blisters going down to the prime coat or 1st finish coat, latex or oil primer and did you do some patching on top of the primer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts