Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a homowner of an older house that has the old large hot water radiators. I love the way they look in the house and do not with to cover them with radiator covers. The problem is all of them have been covered with countless coats of what appers to be latex paint. I would like to refinish them. Is there a special paint that i couls use that would prevent blistering and be able to withstand the increased temperature. Or could i have them sandblasted and then powdercoated.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
chrisintroy said:
I am a homowner of an older house that has the old large hot water radiators. I love the way they look in the house and do not with to cover them with radiator covers. The problem is all of them have been covered with countless coats of what appers to be latex paint. I would like to refinish them. Is there a special paint that i couls use that would prevent blistering and be able to withstand the increased temperature.
The temperature is not your issue here. If these are truly hot water radiators, they never get over 180 degrees. Heat is not your issue... surface prep is your key here. You'd have to consult with paint people.
chrisintroy said:
Or could i have them sandblasted and then powdercoated.
You could, at great expense. It would look sharp though.

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
i think mdshunk is right, but FYI there is hi temp paint rated for 1500 degrees. its called BBQ paint and comes in different colors. a nice heat gun should work in clearing the old paint off. good luck

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There are also engine paints that come in every color of the rainbow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts