Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have pages that are not in the menu will google downgrade your site for that?

In other words, if you have pages that can only be found in the site map or by clicking on a hyperlink will google downgrade your site for that?

·
Registered
529 Posts
You have not explained the purpose of these pages. Depending on what you intend to do with them or their purpose there are different ways to handle this.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have not explained the purpose of these pages. Depending on what you intend to do with them or their purpose there are different ways to handle this.
I am trying to keep the navigation of my site simple so that visitors don't get lost or confused. I have some pages that attract visitors from all of the country, like pages with photos of roofing products. These pages are not in the menu.

Also I am thinking about adding pages for each city that I work in for various services. So if I copy a page for roof repair and make a separate page for each city that I work in would I want all of those pages in the menu? I have about 30 cities that I work in, so i would have 30 pages for roof repair with different city names in the page title.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Also I am thinking about adding pages for each city that I work in for various services. So if I copy a page for roof repair and make a separate page for each city that I work in would I want all of those pages in the menu? I have about 30 cities that I work in, so i would have 30 pages for roof repair with different city names in the page title.
If you have a wordpress site you can use an expanding footer plugin to still link to the pages without any navigational clutter.

Or create top level pages (like for a county) where you then list all the cities/services on the county they belong to page. Not in the navigation. The county page is all you'd list in your navigation. It gives you a logical structure that is easy to build out.

You can then link to these pages from places like your FB/G+ YouTube or whatever else you got going on.

Reactions: MEL

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes as the menu button is a link.
He's talking about having pages that aren't linked in the "menu"

I am trying to keep the navigation of my site simple so that visitors don't get lost or confused. I have some pages that attract visitors from all of the country, like pages with photos of roofing products. These pages are not in the menu.
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I do it too. I have landing pages for people who come to my site from other places like Adwords. Those pages are not found anywhere in the regular site navigation. No problem there.

OK just know that if you copy a page and only change location names, that is working against you in regards to SEO. You should rewrite each page and make them unique. I suppose you could copy the pages and just change the place names and then NO INDEX them so that they won't be visible to search engines, but then no one will ever find them unless those pages are linked to from somewhere else (facebook, adwords, advertising etc).
I can't really see that benefiting you but I don't know exactly what you're trying to do.

If you have a wordpress site you can use an expanding footer plugin to still link to the pages without any navigational clutter.

Or create top level pages (like for a county) where you then list all the cities/services on the county they belong to page. Not in the navigation. The county page is all you'd list in your navigation. It gives you a logical structure that is easy to build out.

You can then link to these pages from places like your FB/G+ YouTube or whatever else you got going on.
Good advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts