Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how this happens but it seems that Google is pulling in pages other than what I would like them to pull in. When I do my reports to see where my domain comes in for certain keywords, Google ends up pulling pages I wouldn't think would match for the keywords. Here is what I'm seeing:

tampa gas pool heater repair 16 http://www.gastekservices.com/pool-repair/
gas pool heater repair tampa 17 http://www.gastekservices.com/pool-repair/

Now I would think Google would pull in either my main page or the page I have set up for the Tampa area. The only thing different that I can determine is the page Google is pulling in has very little content on it.

So does anyone know why this might be and what would be the best course to resolve this or if I should even be trying to fix this?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
It looks like it is relevent, I wouldnt sweat it really. Your location (Tampa) is telling google to show the best page on your site which is this one.

I did notice really quickly ( i have lost interest in seo in general, I dont need any rankings..), I noticed on your Tampa page you link to your service area page, which in turn links back to your Tampa page. In essence you are cancelling out your internal linking efforts by negating the funneling of your PR, google PR sculpting or even siloing your website. I would link to the page Google is showing from your Tampa page.

I favor back and forth linking if only it serves the user largely, which your situation really doesnt. Your Tampa page is the lander, the person lands on it doesnt need to know your service area.

This doesnt hold true for blogging though. Cross link those to your hearts content, but dont link to your blog from your landing pages in your sales copy.

FWIW I would remove the links in your content on your home page to your town landers. I would direct a link to that page google is showing as it is @16 and 17. By taking some juice off the home page and some out of the Tampa page it could increase its strength putting it on the first page.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Well done though, you have come a long way with your seo. Now register another domain and build it out as an informative site and link tenderly to your main site. winner winner chicken diner. Good place to start is with a free wordpress web 2.0 site. Once it ages for a couple of years its tight.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I went into your blog to see how you are directing your links through your site. It could be a lot better. Having your company name as the link is ok, but it isnt done to maximize your seo. You still have to link the keyword you want to rank for. Using your brand as a link is to make sure a "money" keyword isnt breaking a magical % that would cause the algo to drop the KW to sub 150's in the serps. Somewhere around 8-10% is the maximum for keywords with buying intent, roofer dallas texas for example.

Words in bold in the first paragraph will help the Gbot know you place that in high priority and would like traffic associated around the flavor of that word.

A hyperlink in the first paragraph (even the first sentence) that is found in context is the most powerful way you can construct a link on your own. A link at the end of the blog is the least powerful link you can create.

Linking to your home page and an inner page using the in content manner is how I would advise you do it.

A link to an authority site that discusses pools or pool heaters would be consider a citational link and would be a favorable method in the eyes of Google as you are trying to increase the user experience by directing them to an authority on your subject. A link to your youtube wont be enough, it would need to be a link to something like this old house or a manufacturers site that has either a decent PR<5 or very good traffic in around 100k visits per whatever, day or month.

So while constructing your blog post link to your home page in a sentance using a keyword you want to rank for. Dont use the keyword in the title of the blog as this will tell G that you want to rank this post for the KW. Link to an inner page that is about the topic of the blog post. Link to a blog post that is in the same general category, IE: roofing would link to roofing but if the post discussed mold from a lack of ventilation it would perhaps link to a mold article or a soffit article.

If you go back through and make adjustments to your blog, make a new post and only link to 2 or 3 older blog posts. It is sometimes difficult to go in and change a post and get any movement without some social work or additional content in the post that can draw a link to give G some indication something new has been added.

Every once and a while find an authority article and link to it.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info. I'll start working on it.

Also, I was surprised this morning when I ran my report and I see I'm listed as #1 under two of my searches on Google. I'm not sure if Google made a change or if it's a fluke but the search return I got did look different as compared to the layout I've been seeing for a long time.

web.jpg

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Oh i see what's going on. Google a couple years ago changed it so you can't have your local listing and your home page in the serps. You have an inner page at 15 which is typical. I have several kw's with a local listing an inner page and then a blog post showing on the first page. I even finagled a yelp listing or houzz in some cases as well.

So you would want to move that inner page to the first page by linking to it from your home page like we talked about as well as from your blog posts.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes last week or so I took that one inner page that was posting around 15 and put a link to it on my main page. Now the results I am getting are what I am showing in that image. So I think it by adding a link to that one inner page that was posting at 15 caused my main site to show up where it is now. At least I think that's what happening.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Could be that G is identifying your site as this keyword from placing the link on the home page.

You could get a lot of mileage out of using whitespark , or similar, for citations if you havnt yet.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
I'm not sure I believe this info. I looked at the graph it showed me and said I didn't have a Google+ listing and I know I do. So they have something wrong.
Same for me. It say's I don't have a G+ or a Yelp. I know without a doubt I have them both. :blink:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
It says I dont have those either and I know I do.

but it says your @57% and im at 40% something percent.

Gastek is at 0 and that is a problem for showing up in the local results.

Its a tool, might not be the best but it gives you a general idea of where your at.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Same thing here. Even went to create a business page and it said the page existed. Which it has for at least a year.

Did a few searches on key words for the main city. Come up close to the top in the web listings, but not on the location.

And drilling down finally found a keyword/search that indicated my existence by location but not like the others. I'm confused... What's the difference between the red round with white square, Red round with briefcase and a white round with a black square dot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts